Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant get my computer started up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BRlAN

BRlAN

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 29 August 2011 - 06:40 AM

I was trying to get my sound yesterday & tried couple different drivers at download.com which i thought was a pretty trusted site especially with the 100s of thousands of downloads but i thought it mighta been bad when it didnt recognize the manufacturer or whatever but like i said i wanted to think the site was trustworthy & desperate to get my sound back cuz i havent been able 2 get the right help anywhere else & next day after i started comp back up i had all kinds of errors & computer frozen & cant really do much of anything like i had before I ran chkdsk /r & cleaned it up pretty nicely but this time i kept trying to get to command & couldnt ever get to it & so i tried command prompt in the F8 menu but it never ran it on restart like it said, also in F8 menu i kept trying the System Repair & also System Restore but for some reason it always gets rid of my restore points somehow so none of it was working so now my problem is even worse from trying to fix my computer.

this is my screen when i try to turn on my computer

Intel UNDI. PXE 2.1 (build 082)
Copyright © 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Realtek RTL8111B/8111C Gigabit Ethernet Controller v2.15 (080320)
PXE-E61 : Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F : Exiting PXE ROM.
No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

so I guess I am totally lost on what to do now, cant even try to fix it anymore

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:58 AM

My guess would be that your CMOS battery is dead and needs to be replaced.

Those error message references to "PXE" indicate that the system is trying a network boot, which I've seen happen when my CMOS battery dies. It seems to be the default option when CMOS battery weakens/dies.

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/articles/cmosreplace.asp

How to replace the CMOS battery. - http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000239.htm , you can ignore the suggestion to write down settings.

Once the new battery is properly installed...elect the default BIOS/CMOS settings and save those...before exiting the BIOS.

Try to boot the system.

Louis

#3 BRlAN

BRlAN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:17 AM

ok i really think this happened because of dling couple of bad audio drivers because of the fact they didnt work & it didnt recognize the manufacturer & next time i rebooted the computer was all screwed up but ... how would I go about doing this with a laptop?

Edited by hamluis, 31 August 2011 - 09:48 AM.
Removed unnecessary quote.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:14 PM

Your CMOS settings...have nothing to do with drivers. The settings are necessary to coordinate the hardware components of your system...one component cannot have any effect on the settings.

Those links I provided...won't be of any value, since they are written for desktops. Laptops play by different rules, as determined by the laptop manufacturer.

To find the location and type of CMOS/RTC battery...you need to review your system documentation.

System manufactuer and model?

Louis

#5 BRlAN

BRlAN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:20 PM

Acer Aspire 4730Z

Mod Edit: Please use the Add Reply buttons (top/bottom of webpage) when you want to reply/post, rather than the Quote button ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 31 August 2011 - 09:51 AM.
Removed unnecessary quote.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users