Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer instantly powers off when I click the next button when viewing images!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Spiiral

Spiiral

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:49 AM

Hi

I have been having a rather frustrating problem with my computer recently. I am a photographer and I am in the middle of a job right now but my computer is not making the job possible. When I try to open a picture, then click the next button, it will instantly shut down. Sometimes I can keep clicking next and it's fine. But this morning I turned my computer on went to view my images and it shut down, the computer was only on for about 30 seconds so I don't think it's an over heating issue. I can also run Photoshop fine until I use say the text tool. As soon as I click to make a text box... BAM!! powers off.

I will run any monitoring you like and upload the results. I will be on here all day so I can reply immediately.

This will be amazing if I can get this sorted today!

Oh 1 more thing, this is very odd as well. Whenever I move a window around I get those stupid trails you get in windows 95 :/ I have all my graphics drivers up-to-date. Here is a screen shot of what I mean. (See attachment)

I think this whole problem is something to do with my graphics card.. maybe not getting enough power?

EDIT: Also, when I plug my battery into the laptop, it also makes it power off after about 1 min. The battery is at 1% charge. SO, it sounds the laptop is demanding more power to power the battery but fails resulting in power cut.... what do you reckon, new AC in need?

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 02 September 2011 - 10:22 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:25 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Your image reminds me of a time when I seen a computer open multiple windows at one time due to a virus infection, you know you try to close an infected program and it keeps opening multiple windows one on top of the other, sometimes Internet Explorer will do that to, when you go to an infected web site.

As you stated, the image shows what is called show (special effects) shadows while dragging windows.

I think your problem is related to your video card bottlenecking, it can not process the video stream so it studders leaving you with the streaked looking multple windows effect.

If you do not have special effects while dragging windows across the screen enabled, there is a very good chance your video card's refresh rate is set to a very low setting, or your video processor can not handle what is being thrown at it, perhaps a new video card is what you need here.

One thing to remember, with todays memory demanding video processing applications, your video card can get a workout and eventual video card failure is more likely to happen.

I have seen this happen on quite a few computers I have worked on that were primarily used for creating and editing video related media.

It also has a lot to do with what type of media you are working with and the applications being used.

Some really stress the GPU.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 02 September 2011 - 01:32 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users