Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old School on Old Computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 J.Houk

J.Houk

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:43 AM

Hello from Cheesehead land. My name is Joseph Houk, and I'm a computer geek who learned computing skills on an Apple ][e back in the early 1980's. My first computer was a Timex Sinclair ZX-80 with the 16k memory expansion. The first word processing program I ever owned was PCWrite, and I created my first website to run on Lynx.

Okay, enough cred. My Gateway GT4010 has been acting funny (cue the "How FUNNY is it?" joke). It appears that I may have picked up some browser exploit, but HijackThis has not been able to point any one thing out.

What's happening is that websites, especially ones that are Flash-heavy, tend to load... ver... ry... slllllooooowly. As in, practically stopping or freezing up.

Now, yes, I will admit - I'm using a computer that's about seven years old and WinXP SP3. Money's been a bit prohibitive (long story short: I'm a Wisconsin state employee; Google that and the words "Act 10" and you'll figure it out), so upgrading hasn't been on the agenda.

I'm almost wondering if my ISP (Charter) is throttling my connection, but I'm not 100% sure - and I'd have no way of knowing, I think.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 29 August 2011 - 08:35 AM

Welcome to BC.
If this problem has been recent, it may very well be caused by an infection that may not have been picked up by HJT. In this case, start here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html
Else:
Have you tried using a different browser, and have you performed routine hard drive maintenance? There are several internet sites that provide download/upload tests; you might experiment with testing your speed at different times of the day.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users