Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD problem, seems hardware related after posting in windows 7 forum

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Saiga

Saiga

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:00 AM

Original post in windows 7 forum here.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic416095.html/page__gopid__2388999#entry2388999

The specs for this system are as follows.
ASUS M4N98TD EVO AM3 NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
2xGIGABYTE GV-N460OC-1GI GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card (only one installed currently)
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz (not over clocked but using Corsair h-50
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) (not over clocked)
OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)(one holding the OS one holding games)
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V v2.2

So for the past month or two I've been getting BSOD due to what I thought was video issues due to me using SLI. I assumed one of my cards went bad, and as this did not happen very frequently, I decided to wait. Today its been happening nonstop, I've removed both my cards, tried them separately and together and still receive a BSOD, well actually its a black screen with a BSOD error when booted up. I've tried updating drivers, using driver sweeper before and I'm completely out of options, I find it really odd that both my video cards would go bad at the exact same time. I also thought it could be my power supply as I've had trouble rebooting after it crashes, I really have no idea any support would be helpful. I downloaded Bluescreen view, and I get bugcheck code 0x00000116 caused by dxgkrnl.sys+5d000. My pc still works... sometimes.. just not all the time, constantly having to restart it several times before getting it started. I've ran both bluescreenview and system information, if needed I can repost here but the information is in the previous thread. I've also tried memory in every slot. After this I was looking at my Power supply connector to my motherboard.. there appears to discoloration of two yellow wires that are going into the motherboard connector... I feel like this may be the problem as when i wiggled it while my pc was on, my fans started up blasting, now with this kind of damage Does it sound like I'd need to replace my power supply and motherboard at minimum? Mind you the pins that I noticed were damaged on the connection also has discoloration on the motherboard connection as well as the power supply connector. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:30 AM

Does your DirectX is updated? If not please update it first.

And do you overclocking?

Edited by abauw, 29 August 2011 - 10:31 AM.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#3 Saiga

Saiga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:26 AM

Direct x is fully updated, and there is no overclocking on the system what so ever. There is an ample amount of cooling on my case too, nothing should be over heating.

#4 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:18 PM

Sorry forget to ask what DirectX version that you have?

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#5 Saiga

Saiga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:07 PM

I have direct X 11.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 29 August 2011 - 08:37 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I read your previous post in the window 7 forums and I realize Broni assisted you there and suggested you start a thread in the hardware forums.

I need a little more information from you regarding the discolored wires and connecters.

Are you saying the wires appear chared like they at some point got really hot?

Are the connecters discolored like they also were subject to extreme heat?

When you say damaged connecters, are you saying the plastic is melted and deformed?

The answers to those questions will help me make a better determination as to what the problem might be.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 Saiga

Saiga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:02 PM

None of the plastic is deformed, the wires are however very discolored. The yellow wires are a brownish color. The connection of those same two wires ( the yellow ones) look almost burnt or oxidized on both the motherboard connector AND the power supply connector. The pc still runs. I noticed when i bumped into the connection while the pc was turned on but not booting. However, when I bumped into the connection, the fans started up, and the rest of the pc started up also. It has been running solid, after cleaning the connection wires a bit they seem to be getting a more solid connection I've had it online for about 12hours straight with no issue thus far. Would you recommend getting a new psu, or motherboard or both? Or maybe just cleaning the connection more?

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:09 AM

The symptoms you mention are signs that a lot of current passed through those wires and thus heated them up at some point.

There may have been some oxidation built up on the connections causing resistance. Resistance is just what it implies, something is causing a decrease in the flow of electrons, this causes friction, friction causes heat.

I would suggest grabbing an old toothbrush, or even a new one, they come in quite handy for various computer related cleanups and for the purpose of what I am about to suggest and that is use the toothbrush and run it back and forth over the male pins, this will remove the oxidation layer quite well.

The harder part of course is getting oxidation off of the female counter parts of the wiring harnesses, the recommended suggestion is simply connect the plug to its counter part and unplug it several times, sometimes this is enough to correct the problem.

In extreme conditions, I would recommend trying one of those brushes they use for cleaning between the teeth and gums, those sometimes fit into those little holes and will remove the oxidation.

I hope my suggestions work out for you and if not let me know.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 30 August 2011 - 12:11 AM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#9 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:36 AM

I realised that you have a OCZ SSD. That could be the curlpit as well since some people experiemce BSOD from their SSD. You might want to try switching to hard drive and see how it goes.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#10 Saiga

Saiga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:12 AM

Thanks for the advice I'll try cleaning it

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:13 PM

I should have posted a precaution to you about being careful with ESD damage.

I will post this warning now and hopefully I am not late with this warning.

ESD stands for Electronic Static Discharge, it is most common on very dry days, where the human body stores lethal amounts of electricity and your interaction with charged devices such as electronics can cause an arc of electrical discharge to take place, it is called "Static Electricity".

To you, it is just a minor little tingle, you may not even notice it, but to sensitive electronics, it can zap and destroy the component.

To minimize this possibility, you should keep one hand on the computer's outer metal case at all times, this neutralizes the possibility of this happening.

Anytime you walk away from the computer for any reason and return to do further work on it, please remember to ground yourself to the computer case once again.

Bruce.

#12 Saiga

Saiga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:49 PM

Ah yeah thanks for the heads up, I do always do that, when building a pc I also use one of those wrist bands, just in case I happen to remove my hand off the case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users