Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Wooshie

Wooshie

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:16 AM

I was recently given a dell latitude d610. It was given to me with no hard drive. I bought a brand new hard drive and installed it per the instructions from dell. When the system is started the hard drive is nor recognized. I used this laptop before the drive was pulled on it. The bios does not recognize this drive under any settings either. Now dell is telling me the motherboard needs to be replaced. Does this sound right? I have searched online and have seen this to be a common problem with this model of laptop. If I do need to replace the main board I'm fine with it. I was hoping someone might be able to chime in and offer some insight.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:14 AM

You could check your hardrive on another Computer or Laptop does your Hardrive detected or not? Just to make sure that your hardrive is not dead.

If your Hardrive is not detected on another Computer that means your problem is your Hardrive.
If your Hardrive is detected on another Computer maybe your problem is your Mainboard or you just not plugged it right or maybe your Mainboard have Limitation on Hardrive size that could detect.

Could you tell your Hardrive Brand and Model on your next post.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#3 Wooshie

Wooshie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:31 AM

Hard drive reads on 2 different computers. It is a WD scorpio blue 80GB ide drive. The limitations of the system are 128Gb drives. That info was from dell. I thought about it being a bad connector the nard drive will not physically slide into the case any farther so i disassembled the whole thing from the case and tried the hard drive again it boots up to the bios but still fails to recognize any hard drive.

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 31 August 2011 - 02:23 AM

If the hard drive works on the other 2 computers then you need to replace the motherboard.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:24 PM

Depending on the price of the motherboard, it might be cheaper to replace the system.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 Wooshie

Wooshie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:24 AM

I found a used mainboard with good processor for 88.00 + shipping.

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:25 AM

Good find :thumbup2:

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#8 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 05 September 2011 - 05:27 AM

used motherboard could die next week ,just like the one you have now .,not such a good find in my opinion .

normally you would not even get to the bios on a dead motherboard,i would have a local computer tech have a look first .
remember dell support is just some guy/gal working in a call center ,reading from a book or computer screen ,telling you a pack of lies because he doesn't know the real answer ,i know i worked at a couple !lol

Edited by caperjac, 05 September 2011 - 05:32 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#9 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:22 AM

If the hard drive works on the other 2 computers then you need to replace the motherboard.

This was not a good options.
The best options is something like this.

Depending on the price of the motherboard, it might be cheaper to replace the system.

Laptop Mainboard is too expensive so it's better to buy another Laptop.

I found a used mainboard with good processor for 88.00 + shipping.

Have you check that Mainboard fits on your Laptop or not? If not please check it first before you make a bad decision by buying that Mainboard.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users