Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drive Encryption for HP ProtectTools

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sniperNZSAS

sniperNZSAS

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 28 August 2011 - 10:34 PM

Ok this is driving :ranting: crazy!

My flat mate set up a security thing called Drive Encryption for HP ProtectTools. What this does is, upon start up, before it lets you load windows, you need to enter a password and pin.

Clearly, it is :ranting: anoying, so he handed it to me to get rid of it.

It will not uninstall, as it says it is still active, and must be deactivated.

I went into services - found it - disabled it.

I went into some .msc thing i saw on the HP forums, disabled it.

I went into the BIOS - Disabled it.

I have disabled every :censored: aspect of it, however, it will still not uninstall, and continues to ask for a password and pin prior to windows starting.

I am at a loss. This is driving me nuts.

HP - perhaps even more so than I already did, I hate you and your stupid treasure trove of junk bundled software.

Please Help.

Computer is running Windows 7.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:19 AM

Links On Such

Louis

#3 sniperNZSAS

sniperNZSAS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:27 AM

oh for bleep sake come on.. you really think I havn't googled this already? I've trolled through those results before, doesn't seem to make a difference.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:33 AM

As far as I can tell, Drive Encryption is only one component of the suite HP Protect Tools. If you're not removing the entire suite, from everything I've found and read thus far the suite is going to 'defend itself' and continue to function.

This suite of security is standard HP issue on Business/Enterprise laptops and some desktops. Is this a corporate machine?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 sniperNZSAS

sniperNZSAS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2011 - 05:32 PM

Thanks Animal,
No, this is a home laptop. You description sounds accurate, according to every setting i've done, it should be disabled, however it is still functioning. Unfortunately I don't think uninstalling the entire HP suite will be an option, but if thats what it takes then maybe.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 05 September 2011 - 05:48 PM

You're welcome.

according to every setting i've done, it should be disabled, however it is still functioning.

From the actions taken on your part and the material I read thats all I could come up with. I would have presumed you would be successful with 'normal' software. I don't have any experience(Thank God!) in dealing with that suite so I don't have any solid facts to support the hypothesis.

Wish I could have been more help, but this is beyond my pay grade. :P

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 sniperNZSAS

sniperNZSAS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2011 - 06:00 PM

algoods, thanks anyway animal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users