Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Card Not Registering

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kojiarala

kojiarala

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 28 August 2011 - 07:22 PM

I'm sure everyone believes their computer problems to be urgent, and I certainly am no different, so quick turnaround of responses would be fantastic (I take online classes, and need my computer functional to do some graphics work tomorrow)!

I am unfortunately reeling from a recent defeat by a virus that was invoking the blue screen of death every time windows tried to boot up. I just reformatted my system and got Windows XP Professional (SP1) installed and have put in all of the drivers that I have on my back up drive. My sound and internet are working just fine, in fact everything is working fine, except for my graphics card. My system has an NVIDIA Geforce 240 inside, however, checking desktop properties, directX and device manager has turned up no evidence that the card exists (though I admit, Device Manager always confuses the hell out of me). I have attempted to download and install the drivers regardless, directly from the NVIDIA website, but the installation always fails.

I am a very poor man, and cannot afford to purchase a new graphics card, or much of anything really. I'd like to exhaust every possible option to find out if this is just some simple problem, or if my graphics card really was killed by the virus.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:53 AM

Could you tell why Device Manager always confuse you? Maybe I could give you something to make your confuse dissapear.

And when your Nvidia Installation failed. Why its fail? I believe they will be telling you something.

Have you try to manually update your Nvidia driver? Not running setup.exe.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#3 cpt6791

cpt6791

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:31 PM

you need to check the bios to see if your video is set to on board, pci or pci-e set it to what ever your card is pci, pci-e or apg exit saving changes then also check the display driver in device manager and disable the on board graphics then run your set-up disk or software. the reseluton will lower but don't panic just proceed to install nvida software. reset the reselution if all goes well

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users