Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer continuously reboots, newbie builder

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rsredmage

Rsredmage

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 28 August 2011 - 04:59 PM

I have put together two other computers so still very new to all of this. I built a computer for my wife and after about a month it just starts reseting over and over and over. The boot only lasts for about 4-5 seconds before it starts resets again. To get it to stop I have to the power supply off and unplug it (if some juice is left it will still use whats left to reboot), then plug it in. After it boots up there is no telling when it will reset. After this took place for about 2 weeks her FPS on games, flash games from her favorite site POGO, and even videos on netflix turned to crap. I'm assuming this has affected her graphics card, or the card has affected this reset. BEfore I take it to Frys to pay $60 for them to tell me it'll be $200 to fix it, I wanted some advice from you guys.

I am new at all of this, so I don't know how to post certain things I have seen in other forums, what I was able to find after seeing it in another forum is in the even manage she has 5 critical errors all kernal power event ID 41. Otherwise Im all ears

Specs:
Windows 7 Home Premium
MSI Military Class II P67A-GD55 (With OC Genie II) Mother board
Intel Core i5 processor
GTX 460
Kingston Hyper-x Genesis DDR 3 2GB (x2)
Cool Master 600W
Seagate 1 TB Hard drive

I have dusted it, placed external fan, performed updates, and no viruses. From here I have no idea

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:02 AM

Does that board have on board graphics? It very well could be her card causing the reboot. Are the drivers up to date on it? If the board has on board graphics take the card out and run the PC for awhile and see if it reboots.

#3 Rsredmage

Rsredmage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:25 PM

I tried that and it didn't restart, but I only had it out for five minutes because it was running really slow. Even just opening control panel took a while. I will leave it out longer though to see if there is any difference. Thank you

#4 pasquanel

pasquanel

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:56 PM

This often happens if you didn't get an even coat of thermal grease between the CPU and the cooler.
As the CPU gets hotter what grease ther is left runs and the condition worsens! I would definitely
check this before booting up again as you may cook the processor.

#5 Rsredmage

Rsredmage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:41 PM

This often happens if you didn't get an even coat of thermal grease between the CPU and the cooler.
As the CPU gets hotter what grease ther is left runs and the condition worsens! I would definitely
check this before booting up again as you may cook the processor.

...That's not good... Yea I went with Microsoft's advice and set it so it wouldn't auto restart on system failure.. Yea 20 min later it failed and restarted. So How would I know if there is enough grease? Should I just go to Frys and get just reapply a fresh coat?

#6 gekas

gekas

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:01 AM

If restart happens only under some load (videos and games, for instance), and never when the system is idle, then there are two possible reasons: a) processor overheat, and B) insufficient power supply.

Download free CoreTemp utility and check what your processor temperature is. It should never be higher than 50-60 centigrade. If it is within limits, then you need a better power supply unit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users