Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avanquest Partition Commander 11

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shamrock838

shamrock838

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 28 August 2011 - 03:54 PM

Avanquest Partition Commander 11:

Greetings,

I have a Dell desktop computer running under Windows Vista Business 32, Service Pack 2. Now my C: drive is precariously running out of disk space - while I have loads of GB’s in my D: and external drives as follows:

Local Disk C:
Capacity - 59.9 GB
Free Space - 1.49 GB (does fluctuate down to MB level at times)

DataPart1 D:
Capacity - 395.0 GB
Free Space - 200.0 GB

Recovery E:
Capacity - 9.99 GB
Free Space - 5.12 GB

I also have an external hard drive O:
Capacity - 931.0 GB
Free Space - 582.0 GB

I’ve already done a Disk Cleanup on C: including the deletion of temp files and the Recycle Bin. Being only semi-computer literate – can I transfer certain files from C: drive to another HD thereby freeing up needed space?

I am interested in acquiring an Avanquest program called Partition Commander 11, which I believe, allows a redistribution of free disk space between hard drives, e.g. from D: to C:. I don’t know if it also works with external HDs. This might well be the simplest solution.

Just how good is this program? Are there any pros and cons, etc I should know about?

Many thanks,

shamrock838

Edit: Moved topic from Vista to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 28 August 2011 - 05:00 PM

.... which I believe, allows a redistribution of free disk space between hard drives, e.g. from D: to C:. I don’t know if it also works with external HDs.

This will only re-allocate space on the same physical drive.
It can't be used between two different drives.

The easiest thing to do, would be to move all of your personal files, such as documents, pictures, movies, etc., over to D:, leaving only your operating system, and your program files on C:.
That should free up more than enough space.

After moving all of the files, I would also defragment C:.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 shamrock838

shamrock838
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2011 - 07:27 PM

.... which I believe, allows a redistribution of free disk space between hard drives, e.g. from D: to C:. I donít know if it also works with external HDs.

This will only re-allocate space on the same physical drive.
It can't be used between two different drives.

The easiest thing to do, would be to move all of your personal files, such as documents, pictures, movies, etc., over to D:, leaving only your operating system, and your program files on C:.
That should free up more than enough space.

After moving all of the files, I would also defragment C:.

Paragraph 1 - I was thinking of doing all this on one partitioned physical drive from the get-go.

Paragraph 2 - My current personal stuff in C: totalls just 246 MB or 331 files in 63 folders. Pls rechecks the stats in my original post.

Paragraph 3 - I use Windows Vista usiness 32 SP2 and have automatic daily defrags early each morning.

Thanks.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2011 - 08:25 PM

Paragraph 2 - My current personal stuff in C: totalls just 246 MB or 331 files in 63 folders. Pls rechecks the stats in my original post.

I did check the stats in your original post, and there is no mention of how much space your personal files are using.

What files/programs are eating up all of your disc space?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#5 shamrock838

shamrock838
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:25 AM

I did check the stats in your original post, and there is no mention of how much space your personal files are using.

What files/programs are eating up all of your disc space?

OK - if by personal files you mean anything in Local Disk C:\Users\(username) - this comes to 20.8 GB total (103,694 files in 9,390 folders) at this time. Again, I'm using Windows Vista Business 32. In the (username) SUB-DIR I have 16 major DIRs, for which I can provide disk space used plus # of files and # of folders if interested.

Here are my current Local Disk C: stats:
Capacity - 59.9 GB
Used Space - 59.0 GB
Free Space - 950 MB
OUCH - I'm feeling squeezed!

As for your "What files/programs are eating up all of your disc space?" - I'd like to know more about this myself. Pardon my apparent ignorance here.

Thanks.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:58 PM

By personal files, I'm talking about any pictures, videos, text documents, word documents, music, etc.
All of this can be moved to D:.
The only thing you need on C: is the Operating System (Windows), and your Program Files (installed programs).
You should be able to move everything else to D:, which should free up a lot of space, unless you have a whole lot of programs installed.

I'm running XP on a 25GB partition, with 70+ programs installed, and still have 15.1GB of free space.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users