Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleted Files Re-appear and Missing over 800G of Free Space

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Spot78

Spot78

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:13 PM

I have a 1T WD Black with 2 partitions. The 1st partition is C: 120G, running XP Pro SP3, approx 17G used, NTFS, free space listed 9G. The adjacent partition D: is empty. Free space listed 88G. (Paragon Partition Manager correctly lists the free space.)

I went looking for hidden files with TreeSize, and on D: I found tracking.log in System Volume Information. I have system restore turned off (I use EAZ Fix). In TreeSize, tracking.log was listed as 20KB, but found out it was taking up over 800G of space. I changed the permissions, accessed the folder, and deleted tracking.log, but it just kept coming back.

I tried chkdsk/f many times on D: (C: was okay) but would never complete step 5. Ran WDs diagnostics which came out okay. Re-formatted D: many times (quick and regular, in windows, cmd prompt, and Paragon), still no luck.

I wiped the Recycler folder and a strange thing happened. After I wiped, I checked the SVI folder for tracking.log (it came back-deleted again). Went back to the Recycler folder and 3 new files showed up-DK2.ini, INFO2, DK3 (no extensions on these files).

Opened the DK2.ini file and this is what was written:
[.ShellClassInfo]
CLSID={645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F}

Wiped all the files, then INFO2 reappeared, and DK4, DK5 files showed up..

In safe mode I ran a virus scan with Eset Smart Security, and MalwareBytes which found nothing significant.

Then last week I was re-formatting once again, when the computer crashed. After it booted up again D: was unrecognized and listed as RAW, but my C: drive had regained all 98G of the free disk space back.

I decided to format D: to see what would happen, and just as before. C: went back to 9G of free space, and D: was 88G.

I restored to a previous snapshot so my C: drive is at 98G free (normal) and D: is back to being RAW.

This is my current situation and Im stuck. Any help, not to mention a solution would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 02 September 2011 - 11:41 AM

Hello,sorry you have waited ,,, We need some info and logs to figure this out.
Please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9,which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
If Gmer won't run,skip it and move on.
Let me know if that went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users