Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My advice for buying & what do first with a new computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gb642683ftb295

gb642683ftb295

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 28 August 2011 - 10:04 AM

Decide what you will use it for.No matter the purpose,I suggest this for the minimum.
64 bit OS
2-4GB RAM
3-4 core processor.2ghz+
Dedicated gpu,if you play games.Plus it will be much easier to replace if it goes bad.So even if you don't,it might be wise to get one with dedicated anyway.
But if you're not going to use it to play games and not watch any HD/1080 videos,integrated will work.But if you got the extra $$,get dedicated.

If you are on a tight budget,check amd.
Notebooks:AMD
http://shop.amd.com/US/_layouts/shop/shop-amd.aspx?csquery=&filter=category:Notebook&lid=Shop_Notebooks&lpos=HP_bottom_bucket
Desktops:AMD
http://shop.amd.com/US/_layouts/shop/shop-amd.aspx?csquery=&filter=category:Desktop&lid=Shop_Desktops&lpos=HP_bottom_bucket

If you got some extra to spend,check intel.
Notebooks:Intel
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/buy/intelinside/laptops.html?processor_state=default&processor_gn=all_second_generation&processor_nni-1026=all_second_generation&processor_nni-1027=all_second_generation&processor_nni-1028=all_second_generation&processor_gn=all_prev_generation&processor_nni-1023=all_prev_generation&processor_nni-1019=all_prev_generation&processor_nni-1017=all_prev_generation&pagination_page=1&pagination_pageSize=100&orderbar_by=price&orderbar_dir=a&compare_ids=&pagination_page=1&pagination_pageSize=100

Desktops:Intel
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/buy/intelinside/desktops.html?processor_state=default&processor_gn=all_second_generation&processor_nni-1026=all_second_generation&processor_nni-1027=all_second_generation&processor_nni-1028=all_second_generation&processor_gn=all_prev_generation&processor_nni-1023=all_prev_generation&processor_nni-1019=all_prev_generation&processor_nni-1017=all_prev_generation&processor_nni-1018=all_prev_generation&processor_gn=all_Xeon&processor_nni-1001=all_Xeon&pagination_page=1&pagination_pageSize=100&orderbar_by=price&orderbar_dir=a&compare_ids=&pagination_page=1&pagination_pageSize=100

Of course their is other stores,but this gives you a idea on prices.Your cpu will either be intel or amd.I don't like to point fingers at names.But I like dells,acer,asus,msi,very few toshibas,& some others.I would stay away from HPs & gateways.Alienware,most have told me they look purdy,but don't last long.Never owned one though.

After you get your new pc.Here is my advice what to do next:
If its a OEM,create a full backup immediately.I would do it on a couple dvds or a external HD.Not in your pc's own HD.You don't get the OEM OS & backup discs usualy.So doing this first can save you time,money & frustration later on if something goes wrong.
Also I would use a external HD to save anything important you don't want to lose.

Before you go messing with driver updates,do your windows updates first.Windows update may find driver updates.After you are up to date,you can start looking for driver updates.If your pc has intel,
Here is what intel recommends in order:
#1:Windows* operating system service packs or patches available from Microsoft* (for example, Service Pack 3 for Windows XP*)
#2:Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility
#3:Microsoft DirectX* 9.0 or later
#4:Video or graphics driver (for example, Intel® HD Graphics Driver)
#5Intel® Application Accelerator or Intel® Matrix Storage Manager
#6:Sound or audio drivers
#7:LAN or network drivers

You will probably want a antivirus program,I suggest:
Free:Avast!free antivirus or bitdefender plus trial.Avast needs reinstalled every 30 days,bitdefender every 10 days.
Pay:Avast!pro antivirus,Avast!Internet security,or bitdefender antivirus plus

I would download ccleaner.Its a really good uninstaller,bin/junk cleaner,& registry cleaner.Its free.

Sorry I didn't get into great detail,but I believe it will probably help some that are looking to buy a new pc.

Edited by gb642683ftb295, 28 August 2011 - 10:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 28 August 2011 - 05:19 PM

It all depends on the budget itself. A dual core for a non-gamer is good enough.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users