Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse issue.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MarcusW

MarcusW

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:52 AM

Hi guys I'm hoping someone out there will be able to help me with this one.

Basically, I use a Toshiba A500D laptop, but I hate using the touchpad. I keep the driver for it on the system, as the only mouse I use outside of the touchpad is actually the wireless one which I've been using - without any kind of problem until recently - for nearly a year and a half.
I noticed on Friday morning that my mouse cursor has a tendency to want to jiggle rapidly in random directions - not a great distance at a time, but in the approximate location of the cursor where it is placed. That is to say, I could have the cursor moved to e.g. an icon on the desktop, but within a short space of time it will jitter close to that icon, and then move away from the icon by itself. This is also an issue that occurs in games, as I've been playing Fallout 3 and Fable 3, but it's really annoying.
I thought it might be something to do with Java not being updated, but that's not it. I thought it might be something to do with using too many USB devices having recently acquired an external hard drive, again, not the problem, I've checked the lens on the mouse and that doesn't seem to be it either.
I've disabled the touchpad in case that was the problem, but again, it wasn't, and I'm not uninstalling that driver because it would be a bit of a no-brainer to remove what may end up being the only thing I can control the cursor with.
I've tried looking online for a driver for the mouse - even though I've never needed one with Windows 7 and not for this mouse either - but to no avail.
Do you think I might be missing anything that I haven't done yet besides the obvious (scanning for malware and viruses mostly).
Any pointers would be nice. Pardon the poor pun.

Edit: Moved topic from Win 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Azure Kite

Azure Kite

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 28 August 2011 - 09:54 AM

My first suggestions would have been to check the lens as well as disable the touchpad to ensure your palm isn't doing anything. If those two things have already been done then I have to ask something obvious. Are you using a mouse pad? Sometimes the use of an optical mouse without a mouse pad will cause the light to refract and cause it to do something spontaneously.

Edited by Azure Kite, 28 August 2011 - 09:55 AM.

"As Rule# 87 states: Actors are not good for nothing, they're best for nothing." - Frank Kincaid

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 28 August 2011 - 11:54 AM

One other thing in addition to the excellent suggestions made. Have you replaced the batteries or made sure it is fully charged if it is a rechargeable type?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 MarcusW

MarcusW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:41 PM

My first suggestions would have been to check the lens as well as disable the touchpad to ensure your palm isn't doing anything. If those two things have already been done then I have to ask something obvious. Are you using a mouse pad? Sometimes the use of an optical mouse without a mouse pad will cause the light to refract and cause it to do something spontaneously.

Done those, and I'm pretty sure I've always used a mousepad since Windows 3.1, lol.

#5 MarcusW

MarcusW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:47 PM

One other thing in addition to the excellent suggestions made. Have you replaced the batteries or made sure it is fully charged if it is a rechargeable type?

I only use rechargeable batteries (never actually seen a rechargeable mouse though - I must be living in a cave!), and one set is always on charge whilst the other set is in the mouse slowly dying out over time. When they go flat, out come the other batteries from the charger fully loaded with freshly stored energy. Batteries don't seem to be the problem either. Maybe it's just an old mouse - but that can't be right, I've only had this thing for almost a year, and no mouse I've had has died off that quickly.

Thanks for the replies though, I wasn't expecting any (I've posted a few dead questions out there - loads of views with no answers).
If you have any other ideas, I'm open to suggestions. Although it should be borne in mind that I've already got "get a new mouse" on the list crossed off as I can't afford to get another one for at least a month - and thirty days of this jittery mouse cursor is going to drive me nuts, lol.

#6 Azure Kite

Azure Kite

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2011 - 02:33 PM

Under the device manager does it state that there is only one mouse? Have you disabled the touchpad in the device manager or just on the keyboard? If you've only disabled it on the keyboard try disabling it in the device manager. Also try switching the usb dongle or cable to another USB plug? Preferably something like if it's on the left side plug it into the right side? This would test it with a different host controller to make sure that USB isn't acting up.
"As Rule# 87 states: Actors are not good for nothing, they're best for nothing." - Frank Kincaid

#7 MarcusW

MarcusW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2011 - 05:54 PM

Under the device manager does it state that there is only one mouse? Have you disabled the touchpad in the device manager or just on the keyboard? If you've only disabled it on the keyboard try disabling it in the device manager. Also try switching the usb dongle or cable to another USB plug? Preferably something like if it's on the left side plug it into the right side? This would test it with a different host controller to make sure that USB isn't acting up.

Therein lies a problem. I'm not able to disable the mouse via device manager, but via the actual software that's supplied with the laptop - the synaptics touchpad driver software. Here's another thing. Even when the touchpad is on, the program says it can't pick it up, but it still works when it's enabled. However, when that same piece of software gives me the option to disable it, sure enough, it does just that, and disables it. That said I've never really had any problem with the mouse even whether or not the software responsible for the operation of the touchpad has come into play. I've tried switching to a different USB ports, two on one side and two on the other, and they're all coming up losers. The device manager does list them both - but no option to disable the one or the other is available.

#8 Azure Kite

Azure Kite

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:05 PM

While I would think this would have nothing to do with the USB driver, I'm going to say maybe you should update the driver for your touchpad? It's a long shot but I've read up on a few things about problems with Toshiba's touchpad drivers so it's worth a shot.

Here's the touchpad driver for 32-bit A500D: http://support1.toshiba-tro.de/tedd-files2/0/tpdrv-en-20110707111351.zip
Here's the touchpad driver for 64-bit A500D: http://support1.toshiba-tro.de/tedd-files2/0/tpdrv-en-20110707134522.zip

Give this a shot and see what happens if you'd like.

Edited by Azure Kite, 28 August 2011 - 06:05 PM.

#9 MarcusW

MarcusW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:36 PM

While I would think this would have nothing to do with the USB driver, I'm going to say maybe you should update the driver for your touchpad? It's a long shot but I've read up on a few things about problems with Toshiba's touchpad drivers so it's worth a shot.

Here's the touchpad driver for 32-bit A500D: http://support1.toshiba-tro.de/tedd-files2/0/tpdrv-en-20110707111351.zip
Here's the touchpad driver for 64-bit A500D: http://support1.toshiba-tro.de/tedd-files2/0/tpdrv-en-20110707134522.zip

Give this a shot and see what happens if you'd like.

About that long shot. Simply...it was too long. Lol.
I downloaded the driver, scanned it (I scan everything I download out of habit - not to mention good practice), ran it..still getting the jitters.
It's a 64 bit system too so I obviously went for that one. Thanks for looking for that though.

#10 MarcusW

MarcusW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2011 - 09:53 PM

Problem solved. It was the signal receiver, the casing was a tiny bit on the loose side so I tinkered about with it to tighten it up a notch and it seems to be working fine now. Thanks for the assist folks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users