Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accidently Deleted Partition

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 talenak

talenak

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 19 January 2006 - 07:21 AM

I put on the 2nd drive, and backed up my primary drive completely.

And then accidently deleted the partition of the 2nd drive (AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH *FREAK*)

So I got a file recovery program, haven't bought it yet,

My primary drive installed iwndows but it's labeled E: instead of C, I don't know how to fix the drive letter

And I can't even see the 2nd drive in my computer to browse it, and I'm afraid (scared to hyperventilating) to format and install it.

So someone please please please take my soul, I'll sign in blood, and help me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 talenak

talenak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 08:40 AM

I found a file recovery program, it looks like it's finding everything. Even though the file names are all "recoverd_jpeg file"

Renaming 8 thousand or so files is not going to be any fun I tell you.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 19 January 2006 - 10:24 AM

Whoa! Hold up! Long post to follow this one!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 10:30 AM

OK, there's lot's of file recovery programs out there that will recover the partition for you (I've done this within the last 3 months, so the info is current).

First, the best free solution (IMO) is this program: http://www.pcinspector.de/ It works very well, but it may be a bit confusing (it was to me when I used it). It recovered the files off of my deleted partition easily.

Since it was confusing to me, I briefly reviewed several of the "pay for" recovery utilities. I found Active Undelete to work well, but it wasn't up to the performance and ease of use of GetDataBack (available here: http://www.runtime.org/ )

GetDataBack has a free utility that will tell you what can be recovered. It's easy to use, and easy to understand. Once you decide it's what you want - then you can purchase it.

GetDataBack is expensive ($80 US for either the NTFS or FAT32 version - $120 US for both), but IMO it was worth it. It recovered about 60 gB of lost partition data for me.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 talenak

talenak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 10:28 PM

I gave up on the one I was trying when I posted. After 12 hours it was still scanning and not even half way done.

So I looked more and found Stellar Phoenix, in half an hour it scanned my entire drive, and is recovering the folders, file names, and entire filing system.

I wish I had checked here first to try a free utility! LOL

Oh well, I'd have seriously cut out my heart, I haven't backed up my files to disc in 6 months, since my sons 2nd birthday.

Now I just have to figure out how to re letter my drives.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 11:41 AM

So, you'd recommend Stellar Phoenix to others? Have you got a link to it? Most of the problems with these utilities is their ability to be understood by the people using them.

Even the one's that I mentioned are a bit "cryptic"

Relettering your drives is easy - but saving what you've got makes it more difficult. What do the drives say now? (don't forget to include the unpartitioned and/or recovered partitions).

And, is now a good time to talk backup strategies? I hope so, 'cuz I've researched the heck out of this and am really ready to talk! :thumbsup:

I always forget/neglect to backup - so the only good backup solution is an automatic one (for me). This requires plenty of disk space (I haven't been able to get the CD based one's to work for me) - and is actually very easy to do.

Here's the scenario at my wife's office: They used to manually backup the data directory to a CD every day - that's 300 CD's a year just laying around the office.

So, here's what I did using a free backup utility called SyncBackSE (I liked it so much that I bought the pay-for version):
1) Backup the data to another drive on the same computer. This rotates itself on a weekly basis.
2) Backup the data to another computer on the LAN. This rotates itself on a monthly basis.
3) Backup the data from the second computer (the only one with web access) to my home computer using the FTP function (have since switched to pcAnywhere for this - but the FTP stuff was free). This rotates itself on a monthly basis.
4) Once a month the home computer will try to backup to a CD. This is my signal to backup the data to a CD (since I can't get the CD backup to work!) This preserves a hard copy of the data on a monthly basis.

Also, you can send stuff to gMail accounts - and with 1 gB of storage you can fit a whole bunch there! Most ISP's offer some sort of online storage package also. This is great in case a disaster strikes and your computer is physically destroyed!

#7 talenak

talenak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2006 - 04:56 AM

I would recommend it (Stellar Phoenix) to others, because I've never done this before and I was able to figure it out almost intuitively.
http://www.stellarinfo.com/partition-recovery.htm

The only thing I can't get back with it is the image (the backup) of my C: drive that I made before wiping my master drive. Not so bad. It says it's there and recoverable, but then gives a read error.

I tried another program "Active Undelete" in hopes that antoher program would be able to find it, it finds it, but also can't retrieve it. I only bring it up because I also really like Active Undelete. It is pretty easy to figure out, has a few more options than Stellar Phoenix, including that it will clone your drive.
I would probably recommend it over Stellar Phoenix because it's a lot nicer to the wallet at $40 ish
http://www.active-undelete.com/order.htm

#8 talenak

talenak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2006 - 04:59 AM

I tried to reletter the drive with the Disk Management utility and it couldn't change the drive letter of the bootable drive.

So I just reformatted one more time, without my usb devices plugged in, and it fixed it.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2006 - 09:40 AM

I didn't like Active Undelete - so I didn't buy it.

What did you use to make the image of your C:\ drive? Was it Stellar Phoenix? You might check their support area for similar problems and their solutions.

#10 talenak

talenak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2006 - 10:20 AM

I used Acronis True Image. It's unable to read the partial recovery I've managed to get.

#11 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2006 - 11:01 AM

Hello fellas:

I would also like to mention >>>> the ultimate boot CD //// its free and the basic version (use that one unless you have a good understanding of Linux) has a ton of extremely useful tools >>>> and partition recovery is one of them !!!!!

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4019.html

regards

joe :thumbsup:

Edited by linderman, 21 January 2006 - 11:06 AM.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2006 - 11:44 AM

If you made the image with Acronis - what's the reason that it gives for not being able to read it? I ask because Acronis is unable to read images that are not "whole" images. In other words, if your image was broken up into several chunks, you'd have to restore the image in order to view it.

With Acronis TI v8 it was recognized that this was a problem and was supposed to have been addressed in v9 - but I haven't tried v9 yet, so I can't say if it does or not.

If it's just one image file (and not a one part of a set) then Acronis should be able to read it. If it can't, this is probably an indication that the image file is corrupt.

#13 talenak

talenak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2006 - 07:07 PM

It gives no reason, it is just one image.

I gave up on it and figured it for corrupt. I got my whole My Documents folder back, it was under a different drive letter. So I didn't lose very much except convenience.

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:24 AM

Can you use the Image Explorer in Acronis to view it?

#15 talenak

talenak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:49 AM

Acronis was unable to read the partial file and I was unable to recover the whole thing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users