Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update has brought my computer to a crawl...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 burstandbloom

burstandbloom

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 28 August 2011 - 12:21 AM

I ran Windows Update, and the next time I turned my computer on, it was essentially unusable. When I boot up, everything is fine until I actually click or something, anything. If I click on the start button, I can get my program list to come up, but if I click on anything, I just get the wait symbol with my mouse for 4-5 minutes OR the wait symbol sits there indefinitely, at least a few hours. (What program I attempt to open doesn't seem to matter.) The whole system becomes unresponsive the moment I click on something.

In safe mode, I the computer actually runs perfectly fine. All the programs open up as soon as I click them and it responds just as it did before I ran the update.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what is going on?

Edit: Also, when I get the "indefinite" wait symbol, if I try to bring up the task manager, I get a message telling me that Windows Explorer itself is not responding, and after that, a message saying that I may need to restart by unplugging my computer.

Edit 2: Actually, while MOST everything works as normal, Winamp takes awhile to respond but doesn't lock up the computer or anything.

Edited by burstandbloom, 28 August 2011 - 01:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FluffyPup

FluffyPup

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:19 AM

I have had this issue.

How many updates did you download at the same time?

Some of the updates take a loooooong time to load. Others need the computer to be rebooted. If there are 12 downloads and five of them need rebooting, it could take five restarts.

My general practice is to shut off the auto update. At the end of the day, I manually run the update. I only download a few at a time and make sure I restart the machine several times. This is probably overkill. But I really hate loosing control of my machine as you have.

I do remember one recent update took my computer over an hour to completely load. Some just need some time.

Restart the computer and let it run, take the dog for a walk. Restart the computer, go to lunch. Retart the computer and throw in a load of laundry.......

FP

#3 burstandbloom

burstandbloom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:32 AM

It actually was quite a few updates...this has been going on for about a week I guess...so it's probably been about 15 restarts maybe...but what you've said is logical. I'll just keep restarting throughout the day tomorrow while I have things to do.

Edited by burstandbloom, 28 August 2011 - 01:34 AM.

#4 FluffyPup

FluffyPup

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:45 AM

I recently had a HD replace on one of my computers. They installed it in OEM condition. I lost track of how many restarts it took. Well over 75.

What a headach. But I have a new HD!

I also really like Glary Utilites. Free utility program you can get on cnet.com. Run the 1 click. Helps to clean up all the junk the updates leave behind.

Best of luck.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,752 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:14 PM

Just a note...although Win 7 appears to be better than previous versions at this...I suggest using Windows Update for nothing but critical updates, no drivers.

Louis

#6 FluffyPup

FluffyPup

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:26 PM

Thanks for the information.

Do I just manually update drivers? Or do you recommend if a driver is working fine, don't mess with it?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,752 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:54 AM

Just as is true for the BIOS...a working driver/function...has no reason to be "updated" just because such exist. If there is no problem, then I prefer not to create one :).

Drivers, when downloaded, should be obtained from the website of the system manufacturer (in the case of OEMs like HP, Dell, etc.), the motherboard manufacturer (for self-built systems), or the specific manufacturer of the component (printer, scanner, camera, etc.).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users