Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does Firefox Block Internet Explorer?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Braybuddy

Braybuddy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 19 January 2006 - 05:56 AM

I recently installed Mozilla Firefox and made it my default browser for security reasons. Since then it seems to have affected some sites (such as my monthly phone statement) and they won't open. When I click on the link a window opens up asking me to "Locate Link Browser". When I click on Firefox I get a message "Outlook cannot start the web browser for X. The web address may be incorrect, or your web browser may be incorrectly installed".

I removed Firefox and Internet Explorer and couldn't find IE, so I have re-installed it.

What's going on here and can anyone help?

Edited by Braybuddy, 19 January 2006 - 06:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 19 January 2006 - 09:25 AM

I've had this problem myself. What I did to correct it was go into search and type in "IExplore.exe". It most likely is in a file other than the Internet Explorer folder. What you want to do to fix this is right click the application and drag it to the Internet Explorer folder.

Good luck!
Jess

Edited by Jesse Bassett, 19 January 2006 - 09:29 AM.

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#3 Braybuddy

Braybuddy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 05:41 PM

Thanks Jesse! I did what you said but initially it didn't work. I tried again, and when the "Locate Browser" window came up I clicked on the IE icon in the Internet Explorer file. It worked, and when I closed the browser and tried again it worked without the "Locate Browser" window coming up.

You're a genius. Thanks again!

#4 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 19 January 2006 - 05:52 PM

Your welcome. If you need any other computer help, feel free to send me a Private Message (PM). I will try my best to assist you. I have a relative who is also a computer whiz, so if I can't give you advice, I will ask him and relay his anwer onto you.
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#5 Braybuddy

Braybuddy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2006 - 10:18 AM

Great stuff! I have a mate who's a bit of a whiz with computers, which probably isn't a good thing as it's much easier to phone him than learn myself, but he's more into the hardware end of things. Many thanks again!

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 21 January 2006 - 10:23 AM

I applaud your enthusiasm Jessie, but if all the users just PM other users for help, then where is the community benifit? Part of what makes BC (and forums like this) successful is that members help each other, and then make the information available for everybody. Then the next person that has a similar issue will be able to find help on thier own.

Also, what happens if your advice happens to be wrong? If you are giving advice by PM, then you are going to be responsible for whatever damage you cause. If you do it in the open, then others will see your information, and can catch mistakes.

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users