Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 preconfigure drives

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 macdadluke23

macdadluke23

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:15 PM

How can i stop windows 7 from installing a preconfiguredriver for my video card. I want to install my own driver for my video card but windows detects it and installs their own preconfigure driver.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 27 August 2011 - 02:03 PM

If the driver is included in windows 7 drivers.cab file it will automatically install, and you can easily install your own video card driver.

#3 macdadluke23

macdadluke23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2011 - 04:16 PM

the problem is that my nvidia 8800gtx graphics card is not working properly with windows 7 driver i get the"graphics driver has stopped responding... error". Someone mention to uninstall the windows driver and get the latest from nvidia but i windows keeps reinstall the driver

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:18 PM

Then download and install one the one from http://www.nvidia.com

#5 Azure Kite

Azure Kite

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2011 - 12:18 PM

No reason to stop it from configuring the driver before hand because without it the video card wouldn't work at all. You simply need to install the proper driver from Nvidia.

If you've got Windows 7 32 bit you'll want this page:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-32bit-280.26-whql-driver.html

If you've got Windows 7 64 bit you'll want this page:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-280.26-whql-driver.html

If you've done this before and you're sure that it worked then I'd suggest downloading the driver and attempt to install it from safe mode. To do this you'll want to restart your computer and before the "Starting Windows" screen comes up and after the BIOS text passes you will want to press F8 and then select Safe Mode. Then proceed to install the driver.

If the driver is working most of the time but is intermittently having the error where the graphics driver isn't responding then maybe you could tell us what program you were running when this occurred?
"As Rule# 87 states: Actors are not good for nothing, they're best for nothing." - Frank Kincaid

#6 macdadluke23

macdadluke23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:53 AM

Problem is that my graphics card (nvidia geforce 9800gtx)keeps stopping and i get an error thats says" Display driver stopped responding and has stopped Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 257.33 stopped responding and has successfully recovered" I usually get this error or i get the blue screen of death keep in. Also the driver is the latest driver from nvidia.
Also these errors occur randomly like when i surf the web, use microsfoft word, but mostly when i watch movies (the two movie players i use is VLC and Windows media player.)

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:18 AM

I think it is time to save up for a new video card. The one you have is either overheating or is damaged.

What kind of power supply do you have?

Model number from the side of it will suffice.

#8 macdadluke23

macdadluke23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:51 AM

I have a THERMALTAKE TOUGH POWER 850 WATT power supply.Also I had windows Vista befor updrading to windows 7 and my video card was working fine. It was when I upgraded my video card was giving me problems

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:08 AM

It could have been just a coincidence that your issues appeared after upgrading to Windows 7.

#10 macdadluke23

macdadluke23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2011 - 10:21 AM

is there a way/check to see if my video card is damage.Also if the video card is damage would it not work because my computer detects it and it works here and there

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:51 AM

Hello, hope no one minds me popping in here with a possible solution.

Another Advisor named Allen published a post recently on BC and because I thought it was so good I copied and pasted into notepad.

I also have a Nvidia graphics card, it randomly stops responding like yours is doing.

There is an issue with the recent drivers for Nvidia cards and windows 7, the text below will explain how to correct this.

Notice: credit for the text below goes to Allen.

Stickywulf developed this method that you should use each time you update your driver. It also helps you to force Vista / 7 from automatically installing a WHQL basic driver in case you have overclocked your card:

1. Control Panel=>Windows Update=>Change Settings=>"Download updates but let me choose whether to install them".
2. Download the latest driver for your card from the nvidia website.
3. Go to Device Manager, select your display adaptor, and uninstall it, choose to also delete drivers when prompted.
4. Reboot computer into safe mode by pressing f8 when the computer boots, when prompted to install new display driver choose "never install a driver for this device"
5. Navigate to c:\windows\system32\drivers\ and rename the file nvlddmkm.sys to nvlddmkm_old.sys. Take note of the date of this file
6. Navigate to c:\windows\system32 and rename any other file of the same date as nvlddmkm.sys which begins with the letters 'nv'
For example:
nvcplui.exe becomes nvcplui_old.exe
nvd3dumx.dll becomes nvd3dumx_old.exe
etc..etc..etc..Repeat for all files with the same date as the file you found in step 5, they begin with the letters 'nv'
If it is too tedious to rename all the files, you can simply move them to a different folder.
6a. For 64bit Vista / 7, repeat step 6 in c:\windows\sysWOW64
7. Reboot to normal Windows, if prompted again to install a driver choose "never install a driver for this device.
8. Install the driver which you downloaded from the nvidia website.

The text above mentions the word overclock, however the issue is not just related to overclocked CPUs.

That solution has been known to work.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 01 September 2011 - 12:04 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:34 PM

With the way nvidia does driver installationas you can pick custom, and be presented with the option of doing a clean install which will remove all previous nVidia Drivers for your video card.

#13 macdadluke23

macdadluke23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2011 - 04:02 PM

Mr.Bruce the problem with that instructions is when i go to safe mode/or normal startup windows 7 automatically installs the preconfigured driver it has for my Nvidia graphics card I do not even have the option to cancel the installation

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:47 PM

It does that for any operating system even since Windows 95 if your hardware is in the Driver.cab file it will install it automatically regardless.

#15 macdadluke23

macdadluke23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:54 AM

There is no way to prevent windows to install their drivers, in step 4 its says i can select the option not install the driver but i do not see that option windows automatically installs the driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users