Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP will not boot up.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ladebac

ladebac

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 27 August 2011 - 12:41 PM

My computer will not boot up past the startup screen. I have tried to boot it up using the system disk, but that didn't work either. Whenever I try to boot up my computer, all I get is a blank screen with a cursor. I have also tried repairing Windows XP using the system disk, but that didn't work either. I could use some help resolving this issue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:05 PM

What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

And exactly how did you try repairing and describe the "system disc"

#3 ladebac

ladebac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:03 PM

I am guessing it is a virus or something that caused the issue. I am not for sure. The computer was not properly shut down the last time I used it. I just basically cut it off while running some programs. The "system disc" contains the operating system and everything needed to restore the computer to the factory state.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:18 PM

If you are prepared to reset the system to it's original state (and lose all other data), go into bios and change the boot order so the cd drive is the first device. Then insert the cd and boot to it. You can now restore the system.

#5 ladebac

ladebac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:35 PM

I've actually tried to boot it from the disc. When I attempted that, I chose to repair Windows XP on the reboot. I got the same results. The computer showed a blank screen with a cursor in the left corner.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:37 PM

What are the options when you boot to the cd?

#7 ladebac

ladebac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2011 - 06:06 PM

I can set XP up, I can repair a Windows XP installation using the recovery console, and I can quit setup without installing XP. I chose to repair it previously and that didn't help. I also tried to set up XP, but an existing XP installation was detected so I chose not to set it up.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:44 AM

Sorry I've been without an internet connection since the storm Saturday.

Do you know if you have a recovery partition on the system?

#9 ladebac

ladebac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:50 AM

I've already deleted the C: partition, created a new one, and reinstalled XP. I'm good to go now. I appreciate the reply though. Thanks.

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:48 PM

I'm so sorry I was unable to offer more assistance. As I said, I've been completely out of touch for three days. Anyway, glad you're back up and running.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users