Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC will not POST

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Dr Hands

Dr Hands

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:19 AM

I have a Median Composer 5200 system. It runs on a 3.2 GHz Pentium 4 w/ 2x256 MB DDR SDRAM, Nvidia 7600 GS (PCI-E slot), and 200 GB Serial ATA HDD. The issue I am having is that the system will not POST. Upon pressing the power button, the fans run (louder than normal) but the screen remains blank.

I have tried plugging the PC into a known working monitor and the issue persisted.
I have tried swapping in a known working video card (because I noticed that the fan on the card in the PC was not rotating upon power on) and the issue persisted.
I have taken out and and put back in the battery on the motherboard and the issue persisted.
I have reseated each component to no avail.
I have plugged known working headphones into the PC w/ and w/o RAM plugged in to listen for beeps and there were none. It's my understanding there should have been beeps if RAM was not available and there were not.
I have not checked the power supply but I have had it replaced within the last 6 months because the last one had been intermittently failing (PC rebooting) for a while and then it had finally stopped working all together.

I find the motherboard to be failing, but I would like to confirm it or have it contested before deciding to purchase a replacement. If the motherboard be the issue, could someone suggest a replacement as well? I've picked out components and customized PCs before but never have had to pick out a motherboard to fit everything I have and would like input/a point in the right direction.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:35 AM

I would tend to agree that the motherboard is dead. The failing power supply could have overstressed components of the board causing the premature failure. As far as a new one, finding a new motherboard for a decent pentium 4 chip could be extremely problematic depending on the socket type. I'm always a fan of when a system dies it is usually time to upgrade. Depending on what you do with it a decent web surfing and office computer can be built for as little as $300 - $400 dollars.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users