Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think my video card may be giving out on me?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Camron23

Camron23

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 27 August 2011 - 12:16 AM

I'm having some trouble with some visuals on my computer. I'm unsure if it is the monitor, video card, or something else. Some graphics are getting choppy while playing simple Facebook games, font looks smeared together and funky, and some videos are out of sync in terms of audio/video. Also, I am noticing things such as a weird white background on the bottom right hand corner of my screen (where the time is displayed). I also noticed some colors of pictures appear a little off, not too terrible to the point where it is definitive enough however. I'm guessing that the video card is crapping out on me or there may be something wrong the Adobe Flash software I have? I've updated it plenty of times recently to make sure it's the newest version. Thank you.

Edited by Camron23, 27 August 2011 - 12:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 27 August 2011 - 07:13 AM

Hi, do you know what Brand and Model Video card you have? I would first try a driver update.
MCP
MSDST

#3 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 27 August 2011 - 07:28 AM

Does your problem only happen when your playing Facebook games or on another game too?

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#4 Camron23

Camron23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2011 - 04:10 PM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 is the card that I have.

Also, it is not only on Facebook games. That was just one of the examples in which I would notice this issue would come up. It is also on some websites where my font is just all blurry and sort of smeared together.

Update: I updated my video card from the NVIDIA website and unfortunately it is still having these issues.

Edited by Camron23, 27 August 2011 - 09:49 PM.

#5 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2011 - 11:14 PM

It could between VGA or Monitor.
Could you try your Monitor on another Computer and see what happen?

When your problem happens could you take a Screen Shot of your desktop using Print Screen Button and please see does you could see it on the picture?

#6 Camron23

Camron23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2011 - 11:59 PM

I tried my monitor on my brother's computer downstairs and it was fine.

I will certainly take a screen shot the next time it happens and see if it shows up on the screen shot. I also wanted to mention earlier when I was on the internet, I got an error when my browser closed and it said there was an error with the plugin for Shock wave.

#7 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2011 - 02:04 AM

^In that case, please uninstall Adobe Shockwave and Adobe Flash, restart your computer and install them again from the links below:

http://www.adobe.com/go/EN_US-H-GET-SHOCKWAVE

http://www.adobe.com/go/EN_US-H-GET-FLASH

Also, try using a different browser to see if you are experiencing the same problem.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#8 Camron23

Camron23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2011 - 04:44 PM

OK I went ahead and followed your instructions. One thing I wanted to note is I am now using Chrome and that said that Flash is already built into it so I couldn't download the Flash software from the link you provided. I also have a little widget on my desktop that gives me info about my video card as well as CPU usage. I noticed that sometimes, for no reason, everything just spikes up. For example, at a normal, idle state, my computer is using about 20% of ram and core 1-4 are all at 0-5%. Just sitting here and looking at it, all of a sudden core 3 may jump to 50% and some of the other cores may jump up as well. Could this have to do with anything?

#9 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:44 AM

Adobe Flash is directly integrated with Google Chrome and enabled by default. Any available updates for Adobe Flash are automatically included in Google Chrome system updates.

And about memory usage. What software thats you use?

If your monitor runs fine on another Computer that means your problem is between Hardware (VGA) related or Software related.

Does your VGA driver and Direct X is updated?

#10 Camron23

Camron23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:04 PM

The software that tells me the information is the software from my NVIDIA card.

How would I go about updating my VGA driver? Direct X 11 is what I currently have and I believe that is up to date.

Edited by Camron23, 30 August 2011 - 11:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users