Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to recover deleted partition of whole HD and formatted external HD, please?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AA l.

AA l.

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:17 PM

First of all, i need to apogize for combining two problems in one post yet these problems are relevant to each other. I have some trouble with external HD of 500 GB freeAgent GO , here is my situation ,

Previously , ex HD detectable and workperfectly while i did normal syncing with goodsync ; nonetheless when i changed to plug into other home system, ex HD was suddenly undetectable ie no ex HD shown in my computer. I tried changing plugging back into my system (which is just finish clean install
, different USB port of both machines , navigating Disk Management selecting the right click to change drive letter and path yet it finally show the error massage "you need to format disk E (external HD) before you use it" (it occurred to both machines)

What could it be the cause of the problem and how could i avoid this error massage in the future ( i did not use portable antivirus) or if this mentioned error massage prompt up again what should i do to abstain formatting, please?

backing to my current circumstance again, all my backup data is in ex HD I (needed to) format it since

1. I tried recovery the data in the deleted partition - clean install laptop yet no exact files were found after nearly 24 hours then the application (recovery my files) was suddenly closed and i was given up also i have no more storage drive ( i just have laptop and 500 GB ex HD)

2. ex HD (ntfs format) was not partitoned , it just one primary partition (no installed OS)I thought it is easier to recover all my files from ex HD ,is this the wrong idea?

my query is :

1. If this happen again (hopefully not) and i need to recover from the deleted partition clean install laptop , what should i do and which software
(freeware is the most preferable) to be used to recover the actual file, please? (.doc, xls,ppt, pdf, ai, bmp, jpg, png, .exe, rar , zip, mp3 , mp4 ,aac, wav ,flv, DAT, .TIB (Acronis image backup file) )

2. Incase of recovery from FreeAgent drive, what should i do so that i could recover the data as much as possible?

(note : the data in FreeAgent drive before formattion is around 289.20 GB using free recuva could restore just around 2.75 GB )

3. Why during i try to recovery ex HD using EASEUS data recovery wizard the recovery file shown more than 500 GB (around 550 GB)in spite of presenting 465 GB in mycomputer ( I have never formatted ex HD except at the first use just did normal propagate deletion and modification during syncing ) as i have no more storage place just having 382 GB left in my laptop like wise which file could be deleted if i would prefer deleting some version of Acronis image backup file (.TIB) as the list shows varied 2 to 4 GB .rar file. (is it possible to be part of .TIB files?) since I have not much 2 to 4 GB .rar of each data files as fonnd in EASEUS data recovery wizardas far as i remember.

Please kindly suggest and I would appreciate all advice,

Regards,

AA l.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 27 August 2011 - 12:21 AM

Hello and welcome to BC :welcome:

"you need to format disk E (external HD) before you use it" (it occurred to both machines)

Could you go to Command Prompt. Press Start Menu and click run and type cmd.
At Command Prompt just type chkdsk e: /r /f (e: refer to your external hardrive, if it not e: please change it) and leave it scan your external hardrive. Please wait until finish and when it finish please try to browse your external hardrive. Sometimes this method work and sometimes this doesn't work but please give it a try.

If this happen again (hopefully not) and i need to recover from the deleted partition clean install laptop , what should i do and which software
(freeware is the most preferable) to be used to recover the actual file, please? (.doc, xls,ppt, pdf, ai, bmp, jpg, png, .exe, rar , zip, mp3 , mp4 ,aac, wav ,flv, DAT, .TIB (Acronis image backup file) )

If it freeware I couldn't recomend something as they have limitation on finding your data. I have searching that freeware and always get this limitation.

but please remember one thing if you want to recover your data. DO NOT TRY TO RECOVER WITH SAME HARDRIVE THAT CONTAINS YOUR DATA THAT YOU WANT TO RECOVER AS IT COULD DAMAGE YOUR HARDRIVE you need 2 hardrive or more. one hardrive that contains your Windows and Data recovery Software and free space to save your data and one hardrive that contain your data that you want to recover.

Incase of recovery from FreeAgent drive, what should i do so that i could recover the data as much as possible?

First, you need to pray.
Second, you need to make sure that your Computer could on for a couple day / weeks.
Third, you need 2 or more hardrive.
Fourth, please make sure that you have enough free space to save your data on another drive. You could consider to burn it to DVD if you doesn't have enough free space.
Five, Coffe will great :inlove:

3. Why during i try to recovery ex HD using EASEUS data recovery wizard the recovery file shown more than 500 GB (around 550 GB)in spite of presenting 465 GB in mycomputer ( I have never formatted ex HD except at the first use just did normal propagate deletion and modification during syncing ) as i have no more storage place just having 382 GB left in my laptop like wise which file could be deleted if i would prefer deleting some version of Acronis image backup file (.TIB) as the list shows varied 2 to 4 GB .rar file. (is it possible to be part of .TIB files?) since I have not much 2 to 4 GB .rar of each data files as fonnd in EASEUS data recovery wizardas far as i remember.

That because you have deleting lots of files and your hardrive still contains that files.

Honestly, if under windows I usually use Power Data Recovery. I see on they website they offer a freeware version but I believe they will have Limitation. But as you need to find your data let's try a freeware or trial Data Recovery Software. If that software has find your data you could consider to buy a Full version of that software.

Please give a try to lots Data Recovery Software (freeware / trial version). if that Data Recovery Software find your data then you need to buy a full version of that software. as all you need is get your data back.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 28 August 2011 - 11:13 AM

Some programs that may help:

Partition Find and Mount free partition recovery software - http://findandmount.com/

Recovery Software, Partition Table Doctor - http://www.ptdd.com/

Recovery Software, Recover My Files - http://www.recovermyfiles.com/

Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download - http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Louis

#4 AA l.

AA l.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:04 AM

Hello all,

@abauw,

At Command Prompt just type chkdsk e: /r /f (e: refer to your external hardrive, if it not e: please change it)

thank you for suggestion , i will keep it incase the error massage prompt up again (hopefully not)

@Louis,

I tried several software and recover data from both recuva and recover my files found some actual files ,thank you for freeware recommendation.

AA

#5 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:20 PM

Nice to know that your problem have solved :thumbup2:

To recover data it's better to use a couple software to find your data. If that Recovery Software could find it then use it and if not then don't bother to use it and try another software.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#6 tim white M

tim white M

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:48 PM

Hi

You can recover lost data using deleted partition recovery software. I have used this software to recover deleted partition from my computer hard drive and I had succeeded to recover it. So you can try it.

#7 dbredes

dbredes

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:33 AM

New to group been a computer mechanic 32 years now, currently out of Edmonds WA. Thanks for help on subject today, will try some of the suggestions and report back- Peace

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:53 AM

This is a somewhat old thread. You may have better results recovering a deleted partition using Testdisk or using Partition Recovery in Partition Wizard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users