Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With Xp Pro

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 photoart

photoart

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 19 January 2006 - 12:03 AM

I have acquired a used emachines model T1742 computer cheap. I wanted something better for my daughter to use, mostly to play learning games on and a few other tasks. What bothers me is that the computer has windows xp proffesional version installed instead of the home version. The first thing that bothers me is the logon screen. Is there a way to bypass the logon so the computer will go directly to the desktop? Another problem, the seen resolution and color can not be changed. I can not see everything in the screen because I can not make the icons smaller. I can not change the color from 16 bit. She has at least one game that requires 256 color. I tried the emachines web site and could not find anything to help.
Is there a way to fix these issues?

I was thinking of just installing windows xp home version and starting over with the whole setup. Would This be the best option to correct the problems? If I do install windows xp home, can I install it over pro or do I have to delete it? If so, how do I do it? Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 12:49 AM

XP Pro is a far better op system than Home is.

To eliminate the sign on password, go to control panel, users and passwords and change the password, entering nothing in the new password box so no password is required.

I recommend you give your youngster a limited account so she cannot change or mess up system and program files.

Your inability to change screen resolution and color settings is another matter.
Go to the device manager and see if there are any yellow exclamation marks in anything connected with display adapter or monitor

Edited by Enthusiast, 19 January 2006 - 01:04 AM.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,239 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 01:10 AM

to adjust resolution

Start
Control panel
Appearance and Themes
then the 4th green arrow down
Change the screen Resolution
make your selection with the slider on left than
color quality on right
Then click OK
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Dngrsone

Dngrsone

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 19 January 2006 - 12:24 PM

to adjust resolution

Start
Control panel
Appearance and Themes
then the 4th green arrow down
Change the screen Resolution
make your selection with the slider on left than
color quality on right
Then click OK

Bear in mind that if the graphics card in the machine is only capable of 16-bit color, then that's all you are going to get. If that's the case, though, then you might want to turn that machine in for something a little more robust.
Posted Image

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 02:48 PM

Go to Emachines support:
http://www.emachines.com/support/product_s...ies&model=T1742

This gives you the specs on your model.

Try downloading the updated driver for the video which according to Emachines is Intel Extreme Graphics 3D.

Live Chat Support — available 7 days a week, from 3 am to 12 midnight (PST)
eMachines Live Chat now features a new suite of tools that will allow our support agents to assist you more efficiently. With your permission, our representatives can now view and take control of your computer, check your system parameters and provide you with web pages to resolve your technical issues.

Edited by Enthusiast, 19 January 2006 - 02:51 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 03:04 PM

While I hate to disagree with some of our member here - I do have some different opinions on all this.

First, I believe that the core of XPPro and XPHome are the same - with some subtle differences coded into them based on the market that they are directed at.

If you're not deeply interested in using major networking procedures - there's no need for XPPro (even though I've got it on my systems - because I'm obsessed with having everything even if I don't use it). There are some uses for it - but most can be overcome by free 3rd part utilities that are freely available on the web. So, I recommend XPHome unless you've got a reason to want XPPro.

At my wife's office she has one XPPro machine (the file server), and the other 4 computers that connect to the network are all XPHome. And everything works just fine (most of the network administration and maintenance is done on one of the XPHome systems).

As for the logon - you can go to Start...Run...and type in "control userpasswords2" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

In the screen that comes up, uncheck the box that says "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer." - then click on OK and you're done. At the next reboot, the system will automatically logon to the default account.

The color issues are, as Enthusiast says, most likely the result of a missing video driver. Installing the appropriate one should fix it up immediately.

Edited by usasma, 19 January 2006 - 03:06 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 DCAVEGN

DCAVEGN

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2006 - 06:33 PM

I HAVE A E MACHINE #1742 HAD THE SAME RESOLUTION PROBLEM WHEN I SWITCHED OP SYSTEM FROM XP HOME TO XP PRO . IF U HAVE THE E MACHINE XP PRO HOME DISC'S 1& 2 PUT 2 IN CD DRIVE AND LOAD VIDEO INTEWL VIDEO DRIVERS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users