Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Is Oana.exe?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mojavemystic

mojavemystic

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 18 January 2006 - 11:38 PM

Is it safe?
Spelunking Rocks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 19 January 2006 - 01:03 PM

Hi mojavemystic

The Oana.exe file is a bad one :thumbsup:

I have read your post and I think it would be wise for you to post a HijackThis log for an expert to review. I bet you are wondering what HijackThis is. Well it's a program that is simply able to show others what's going on inside your computer, in terms of infection etc..

I recommend you follow the HijackThis preparation guide which can be found here. It is important that you follow the guide closely. A number of scans will be run which may well fix your problem.

As the guide says, after you have completed the scans that are recommended, please post your "HijackThis" log in a new topic in the forum found here. Please add your system infomation and also what problems you are having. Please wait for a few days and one of our experts will get onto fixing your computer for you.

Please be aware that this new year we have been swamped so it may take a week for a reply.

David

#3 mojavemystic

mojavemystic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 01:15 PM

Hi David,

Thank you for your reply, even though it wasn't what I wanted to hear :thumbsup:

I tried to follow the directions you provided and ran into a couple of snags. First off, the spyware programs you recommended scanned my computer, but require a paid subscription to remove what they find. I have a program that "supposedly" looks for the same things but comes up empty after scanning. This is my parent's computer and I hesitate to install anything until they ok it (I am house sitting while they play snow birds).

Second, I was in the process of scanning with Housecall when the window spontaneously shutdown. Hmm . . .
I should mention my first attempt at scanning with Housecall (just minutes before) froze up the computer and I had to reboot.
I have had bad experiences with Panda freezing up computers in the past.
Never tried Bit Defender.

I haven't tried the McAfee AVERT Stinger yet, and do not have time to do so as I must go to work soon and won't be back until late Sunday night.

Shall I go ahead and DL HijackThis as my next course of action? Any other suggestions?

Sincerely,
Joy
Spelunking Rocks!

#4 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 01:37 PM

Hmm...which programs asked you to pay for removal?

Post a HJT log as instructed by the prepatation guide, and explain all this in the thread.

David :thumbsup:

#5 mojavemystic

mojavemystic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2006 - 12:31 AM

Hi,

The Ad-Aware. I had to register ($29.99 if I remember correctly) in order to remove the infected files.
Spelunking Rocks!

#6 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 21 January 2006 - 01:13 AM

Download "Ad-aware SE" it is a free program - that is what you wanted to use.

Please follow the instuctions closely in the HijackThis preparation guide.

Then post you log in the HJT forums as a new topic.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#7 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2006 - 10:26 AM

Yes i agree Koan, i think you must have chosen the professional edition mojavemystic :thumbsup:
David

#8 mojavemystic

mojavemystic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2006 - 11:54 PM

Hello,

I work from Friday morning until Sunday night. I will do as suggested on Monday.

Thank you in advance,

mojavemystic
Spelunking Rocks!

#9 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2006 - 03:02 AM

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic