Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Workgroup for XP concern

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bluemonday

bluemonday

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 26 August 2011 - 02:33 PM

I have a router in my house that has WIFI built into it (provided by ISP). I have one computer hard wired to the router. My other 3 computers are on WIFI.

I set up the same workgroup on all the computers. I went to Network Places/Add a Network Place/Choose Another Network Location/Browse/Entire Network/Microsoft Windows Network. It listed the Workgroup that I created.

I went to each folder that was shared (My Documents, Desktop, Music, etc) and added them to My Network Places. The only concern is that the networked computers and folders show up under the Internet category, not the Local Area Network category. Are the computers safe from external hackers or can anyone on the same ISP join the workgroup and access the files? Since all the computers have direct access to the internet (through WIFI), I don't think I need to set up a Local Area Network.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:12 AM

All of the computers that connect either wirelessly or wired are on a local area network using and NAT which is provided by the modem/router combo provided by your ISP. I'm not sure why you would have done anything to the shares once you had shared them. Once you share a folder or printer it is automatically available on the LAN as long as you have file and printer sharing enabled for each computer.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:49 AM

I moved this from Windows XP Home and Professional to Networking.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 bluemonday

bluemonday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 27 August 2011 - 03:00 PM

All of the computers that connect either wirelessly or wired are on a local area network using and NAT which is provided by the modem/router combo provided by your ISP. I'm not sure why you would have done anything to the shares once you had shared them. Once you share a folder or printer it is automatically available on the LAN as long as you have file and printer sharing enabled for each computer.

I noticed on the last computer I added to the workgroup automatically added the "other computers". But the "other computers" show up under the category "Internet", not "Local Area Network".

I will remove the shared folders and the workgroup on all the computers and redo it again. I'll let it set up automatically and see where all the computers show up (under "Internet" or "Local Area Network").

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users