Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

too much protection?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 sniper8752

sniper8752

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 26 August 2011 - 02:14 PM

it seems like i have a lot of security applications on my computer. they seem to work together fine. i'm just wondering maybe if i really don't need some of them anymore...

i currently use:

• threat fire
  • microsoft security essentials
  • spybot
  • malwarebytes
  • ccleaner
  • superantiyspyware

i have been thinking about adding ad-aware to the list... any recommendations? what do you think of my setup? i noticed with a lot of the anti-spyware/mal-ware stuff, that the basic packages do not include "real-time protection", and i am not sure how much that doesn't really help me...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:51 PM

I'm sure frequent posters here will have some suggestions to trim down your lists. I think you have too much protection of some type, but that you still lack some protection. Let me explain.

An important protection that you are missing is regular backups. Backups will not prevent your machine from getting infected, but will greatly help you recover after an infection.
What OS do you use?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#3 sniper8752

sniper8752
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:13 PM

of course, the most important key component!

i actually just got a new external hard drive. my old one was 320 gb, and my new one is 1 tb. i have been backing them up ;) i understand the importance. any comments/suggestions for my longgg list? =D

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:48 PM

What OS do you use?

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 sniper8752

sniper8752
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:49 PM

sorry; windows 7

#6 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,672 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2011 - 02:17 AM

If you didn't already know, Windows 7 comes with its own backup tool.

One more tip regarding backups: like you, I backup to an external HD, but I have more than one. One HD is always stored at an off site location, i.e. a place that is not my home.
This HD doesn't contain a full backup of my machine, but only all my data (including media like pictures).
If a disaster ever strikes my home (like a fire), then my data (plus the backups) will not be lost forever, because I keep a backup at another location.
I encrypt this HD so that nobody can access my data without my authorization.

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Handler

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#7 sniper8752

sniper8752
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:21 AM

would you recommend using window's 7 backup tool, instead of wd's or iomega's?

#8 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,672 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:46 AM

Actually, I bought a copy of Acronis True Image Home. I've not upgraded to the latest versions, because they've started to add many features that go beyond backup and that I don't need.
I'm satisfied with Acronis, not only with the backup procedure, but more importantly, with the restore procedure. I've never had issues.

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Handler

#9 ranget

ranget

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:59 AM

well in addition to what diders said

in Real Time Protection you can use

threat fire
microsoft security essentials
malwarebytes

as for On Demand scanner use as much as you want

A big thanks to Dider Stevens

sorry for not being around

#10 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:15 AM

Like Didier said, you can try Acronis. Or there's another one called Crashplan. Both of them are good.
SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

#11 Steve23

Steve23

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2011 - 12:02 PM

There doesnít appear to be a ďbackupsĒ forum, so Iíll post inline with the discussion in this thread. Hereís a few points:

1) Your backups are like an insurance policy; paying the premiums may give you a sense of security (your agent will tell you this Ďfeelingí is what you are paying for), but itís only as good as itís ability to cover you in a real disaster. In my experience, the back up is only half of it. If I havenít done a trial restore, which requires the purchase of a spare internal HDD, then Iím half exposed. When I first did this15 years ago , it was amazing to find how nearly impossible it was on my home and work systems to restore what I thought I had safely backed up. And yet how enlightening.
2) I use Norton Ghost for backup. Iíve been through the last 4 or 5 versions of Ghost and find it too to be bloatware; adding useless or debilitating features that produce a re-learning curve with each release for the primary purpose of forcing the expiration of a previous versionís support and the purchase a the newest version. It now sucks so many resources that I disabled the service and only run manually. It still finds ways to hog resources sometimes. But I can do the main thing I want: clone my HDD magnet for magnet and restore it to a second HDD. Useless side note: my 1985 grad research was on the particle formulation that enabled high density magnetic recording media :-) and I have a couple patents in this area. Now I just need to makes ones that donít catch viruses :-D
3) Thereís good backup stuff at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html ďPreparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help,Ē Step 1.
4) Rochester Computer Recycling and Recovery, a Dell authorized re-seller, where I bought my latest used PC recommends the following:
Free Antivirus SW: AVG, Avast, Antivir, and they add the proviso ďremember to use only one Antivirus program at a timeĒ
Commercial Antivirus SW: Norton Antivirus
Free Anti-Spyware SW: Spywareblaster; Spybot Search & Destroy; Malwarebytes
5) I use AdAware free version, SP S&D, Symantec Endpoint Protection 11, MWB and feel I too must have some slow down due to it. Iím watching this post to see whatís recommened.

#12 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,672 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:00 PM

1) Your backups are like an insurance policy; paying the premiums may give you a sense of security (your agent will tell you this Ďfeelingí is what you are paying for), but itís only as good as itís ability to cover you in a real disaster. In my experience, the back up is only half of it. If I havenít done a trial restore, which requires the purchase of a spare internal HDD, then Iím half exposed. When I first did this15 years ago , it was amazing to find how nearly impossible it was on my home and work systems to restore what I thought I had safely backed up. And yet how enlightening.

Agree and I go even further. Being able to restore is even more important than being able to backup. If you can't restore you're nowhere, you could as well not have bothered with backups all together.

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Handler

#13 WeRtheBorg

WeRtheBorg

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:25 AM

Actually, I bought a copy of Acronis True Image Home. I've not upgraded to the latest versions, because they've started to add many features that go beyond backup and that I don't need.
I'm satisfied with Acronis, not only with the backup procedure, but more importantly, with the restore procedure. I've never had issues.

I agree with Acronis software. I really like the way it works for performing backups and making images. Definitely a + for restoring a crashed system. As far as to much protection goes, I use Avast, Spybot S&D, Malwarebytes, and Zonealarm. It seems to be a well rounded set of protection. Microsofts firewall to me does not seem to give me the same protection as Zonealarm does. I ran some test to see the different responces with and without Zonealarm and I noticed that Microsoft's firewall did not alert me to a lot of intrusions that tried to send themselves out. Most people try to protect their computers from the outside world and that's great, you should do that but, what happens if you do (accidentally) get an infection and it wants to call out? I have noticed with testing my dummy computer purposely getting it infected, once you get infected it likes to call out and more times than not pull more infections down. They like to work in tandem. Just in case you find one the other is still there waiting to reinfect.

I do computer service work and I am asked constantly, "What's the best anti-virus?" or security bla, bla, blaa. My answer every time is, "You are." These security programs work but you really need to get educated on how? and why? you are getting infected. Computers are just dumb things and we are the brains behind them. Don't get me wrong there are people that do not listen and I appreciate the business but you cant blame me if you keep getting infected. Quit checking out the girly sites, and downloading illegal music, or movies (for most of my customers). Free is usually not free on the net. Just read the disclaimer (which no one does) most of the time it will tell you what it's going to put on your computer in conjunction with the free game or tool. Just cause you have a body guard (antivirus) you don't purposely go to the ghetto (junk websites)looking for a fight. =)

This community and others like this one rock. You can be assured that you will get sound advice and understanding of what your doing wrong but most of the time people just won't read. I am working on a forums to help support my local customers as well as currently refer them here to help educate them on the dos' and don't s when browsing the web. I don't see referrals as loosing business I see them as gaining integrity because as much as we would like to know it all, it's just not possible. GAME ON Bleepingcomputer!
"We are the Borg. Lower you shields and prepare to be assimilated. Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile."

#14 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:57 AM

I do computer service work and I am asked constantly, "What's the best anti-virus?" or security bla, bla, blaa. My answer every time is, "You are." These security programs work but you really need to get educated on how? and why? you are getting infected. Computers are just dumb things and we are the brains behind them. Don't get me wrong there are people that do not listen and I appreciate the business but you cant blame me if you keep getting infected. Quit checking out the girly sites, and downloading illegal music, or movies (for most of my customers). Free is usually not free on the net. Just read the disclaimer (which no one does) most of the time it will tell you what it's going to put on your computer in conjunction with the free game or tool. Just cause you have a body guard (antivirus) you don't purposely go to the ghetto (junk websites)looking for a fight. =)

Could not have said it better. It doesn't matter what kind of lock you put on your door if you're just going to leave it open.
"Most quotes attributed to famous people on the internet are fake." -Abraham Lincoln

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users