Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware Warning!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TylerMN

TylerMN

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 18 January 2006 - 11:30 PM

just was browsing the internet and all of the sudden the widows alert comes up indicating i have spyware and it wants it destroyed immediatly, it downloaded a program called spysheriff and is running scans right now, is this really bad. my screen is blue and in the center it says SPYWARE INFECTION plz help

Tyler

//Mod edit: Moved to more appropriate forum from "Windows XP Home and Professional"

Edited by jgweed, 19 January 2006 - 01:01 AM.

"I'd take my sweater off but i'm affraid its attached to my skin"- Brain "Family Guy"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 19 January 2006 - 01:06 AM

You have just learned a hard lesson- - -never download anything without carefully checking it out by doing a Google search. Now you are infected.

Actually you will now learn a second lesson---it is a lot harder to get rid of stuff like this than it is to download it. Don't panic!

Fortunately, BC as a complete set of instructions that you can use to remove this beast:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/22402/how-to-remove-spysheriff-winstallexe-spysheriffexe/

Best regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 TylerMN

TylerMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 04:27 PM

" You have just learned a hard lesson- - -never download anything without carefully checking it out by doing a Google search. Now you are infected."

yeah but i didnt download anything, my last download was 15 days ago, from a secure site. how is that possible?

thanks for the help
tyler
"I'd take my sweater off but i'm affraid its attached to my skin"- Brain "Family Guy"

#4 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 05:56 PM

" You have just learned a hard lesson- - -never download anything without carefully checking it out by doing a Google search. Now you are infected."

yeah but i didnt download anything, my last download was 15 days ago, from a secure site. how is that possible?

thanks for the help
tyler

What anti-spyware programs do you have on your computer? The best two ones are:

-Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Personal

-Microsoft Anti-Spyware

I've tried Spybot Search & Destroy but it kept failing on me. My recommendation is to do a full system scan of your antispyware software. If it finds any spyware, delete it. Also, delete your temporary internet files, and internet cookies. All of htese things should help.
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#5 TylerMN

TylerMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 06:45 PM

Im currently using Tenenbrille SpyCatcher Pro! i just ran a scan and got a real big list of adware and it was deleted. and i got the thing computer back up and normal

Thanks again

Tyler

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 09:08 PM

A good idea is to have several anti-spyware applications on your hard drive, because each company has slightly different criteria for malware and one will look for some things another will not.
I'm happy you got rid of whatever spyware you had!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users