Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is computer compromised?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 CFred

CFred

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:34 PM

Hello,

I'm hoping I can get a second opinion to a question I posed on the MS Win7 Forum. The answer seemed to go against what I've read on numerous computer security sites regarding different software to have. Also mentioned was "first I would dump anything Norton", many sites gave it extremely high marks, but anyway. It seemed reply was all negative without answering question. Here is what I posted, and His answer, Hope this is okay.

One thing I didn't think to add to original question was that I'm using Norton Safe Search in toolbar if that matters. _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Is my computer compromised?

Win7, IE9, Norton Internet Security 2011, (Malwarebytes, SuperAntispyware, and Ad-Aware, I only use the ones in brackets as secondary scans and not actively running.

I notice sometimes at many different websites my toolbar will what I say is "move down a step" and leave a blank like toolbar (empty of course) above it just below the address bar.

I'm using Norton Internet Security 2011, and have Malwarebytes, SuperAntispyware, and Ad-Aware as just secondary scanners. I keep everything updated at least weekly, though Norton automatically updates on its own the same as Windows. Everytime I do scans (weekly) they all come up clean.

With the toolbar moving down leaving an empty space between that and address bar it just don't seem normal, or is it?

I also notice I get "waiting for response" alot, no matter what site I visit. That too don't seem normal. Once in awhile maybe, I can understand some website servers might be slow for various reasons

Thanks, Fred
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply:

Could be 'security overkill'.

First - I would dump Norton anything, especially a suite product like Internet Security. If you just had Norton AntiVirus, I might not say anything (although I would be thinking, "dump it"); however, you have a suite from them. Dump it and go with a pure AntiVirus software (I'd avoid Norton and McAfee.) There are free AVs (for home use) out there that are as good/better and use up less resources. There are also very good cost options (some are the ones that also have the free versions, others are like eSet NOD32 - no free version, but their pure AV product is relatively inexpensive and very effective.)

Second, I would cut down on the scans some. Maybe purchase one of the AntiMalware products so you get resident protection to supplement your AntiVirus protection (there will be some overlap - but not nearly as much as you have now.) I prefer MalwareBytes myself, but SuperAntiSpyware is a good product as well. I'd dump Ad-Aware.

Then make sure your Windows Firewall is enabled with what you block/don't block being up to you - but if you have no need - just don't allow anything through.

Make sure you are using some sort of router that is properly configured between you and the Internet. That way your systems are on their own private network with the router playing 'first defense' against the only portal into that world from the Internet.

Then your system will likely run a little better and you won't spend *way* too much time scanning and checking and worrying over it. ;-)

He has a community star based on answers, member since 12/08 if that makes a difference.

Thanks
Fred

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users