Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd/dvd Drive Works For Dvd, But Not Cd's

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SimpleLogic

SimpleLogic

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 18 January 2006 - 11:29 PM

I recently bought a new Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop, which came with a Sony R/W CD/DVD. Initially it worked fine, but later I discovered that although it had no problems playing a DVD movie, it wouldn't play music CDs or even program CDs. Control panel suggests that everything is working, but it isn't. I can't get any program or file listings from Windows Explorer, as if nothing was in the drive. I'm running Windows XP Home, and tried to "restore" to an earlier date, when I knew it was working, but have had no success.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CASTIGLIANO

CASTIGLIANO

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 19 January 2006 - 11:54 AM

I think its a drive failure. If it still have warranty return it ASAP. I also had d same problem in my Sony DVD writer, but i'm using a desktop PC not laptop

#3 VB4

VB4

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 19 January 2006 - 10:46 PM

I work in a computer repair shop and we recently had a customer with this problem. You need to run a Windows Compatability Wizard and go through there and select the program you want to set the wizard back to, you may want to just set the settings back to use the settings for Windows 2000, it worked for this computer but we resolved this problem about 85% by reinstalling Windows. Good Luck, let me know how you make out or u have other questions.

For fast computer answers, visit SparkCore. A brand new computer forum with dedicated members, who will get you the answers you need to solve all your computer problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users