Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changed password problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wavemaker

wavemaker

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 26 August 2011 - 05:09 AM

Gooday All.I don't know if my search skills suck or what but haven't seen an answer to my difficulty anywhere yet.I don't change my passwords often but figured it was about time to do the rounds and change them. I use the same password on all my computers and when I change one I change them all to the same p/w.Right now I am using Linux distro (Kubuntu) to ask for help here.I find that the change to the admin password on my Win7 drive is not happy with the new password. I went around and did them all at he same time. I can access every other OS on every drive with my new password but Win7 wont let me in. I have 3 of my daughters personal log ins and a guest log in as well as my own on win7 . I am the only admin user on the machine. Long story short, is there a fix for this or do I put a live Linux on the box and remove all my data, photos etc on to another drive and then re-install my win7. Basically stuffed here, any help most appreciated. The Win7 disc is a genuine, legit paid for copy and other than this difficulty I don't have any problems with it.
When The Going Gets Weird, The Weird Turn Pro. (H.S.T.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:34 AM

Hi wavemaker,

If you still remember your old Admin password you can use system restore to return to a point when that password worked.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940765

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/use-system-restore-to-overcome-a-lost-administrator-password/1603

Even though the instructions above require a Windows disk, I would guess most users could perform the same task by booting to the pre-installed recovery console.

Tip: I always create a second "Emergency" Admin account on all systems I manage just in case of situations like yours.

#3 wavemaker

wavemaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2011 - 02:10 AM

Thanks RedDawn. I will give it a burl and post back on results.

#4 wavemaker

wavemaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2011 - 11:02 PM

Gooday RedDawn. Worked a treat, I owe you a schooner of your favourite ale.

#5 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:33 PM

Glad I could help :thumbup2: .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users