Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Forgotten Windows XP Professional Password.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ian MacK

Ian MacK

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:21 PM

I have just dug one of my old laptops out of storage as I wanted to run an XP software (Quicken) as difficulties using new home PC (Windows 7) as old software not compatible with W7. (The Quicken version is 2000 and now Quicken no longer available in UK).

The laptop is a Dell D400 Latitude, something like a 2004 vintage.

Thanks.

Ian MacK

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:55 PM

Use this tool: http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

If the built in Administrator account is not the one you are using and it is not disabled, you can log into it when you get to the welcome screen by pressing ctrl-alt-del twice. It has no password by default.

EDIT: You could also run Quicken inside a virtual machine like XP Mode, VirtualBox, etc while running W7.

Edited by .X., 25 August 2011 - 03:02 PM.

#3 Ian MacK

Ian MacK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 27 August 2011 - 06:59 AM

Hi .X.

Thanks for your response.
I downloaded the zip file and unzipped on a USB stick, changed the boot order on the old laptop using F2 Setup so that USB was top of the list. Then booted the old laptop with the USB installed but got error message "Invalid System Disk", so not sure where to go next.

Ian MacK

#4 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2011 - 07:49 AM

Did you follow these steps?

How to make an bootable USB drive

Copy all the files that is inside the usbXXXXXX.zip or on the CD onto an usb drive, directly on the drive, not inside any directory/folder.
It is OK if there are other files on the USB drive from before, they will not be removed.
Install bootloader on the USB drive, from command prompt in windows (start the command line with "run as administrator" if possible)

• X:syslinux.exe -ma X:
Replace X: with the drive letter the USB drive shows up as (DO NOT USE C:)
If it seems like nothing happened, it is usually done.
However, a file named ldlinux.sys may appear on the USB drive, that is normal.
It should now in theory be bootable.
Please know that getting some computers to boot from USB is worse than from CD, you may have to change settings, or some will not simply work at all.

If you still have trouble, download the CD version and burn the ISO with something like ImgBurn.

Edited by .X., 27 August 2011 - 07:54 AM.

#5 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2011 - 04:15 PM

I found a post regarding installing an older Quicken version in Windows 7: Quicken won't run under Windows 7.

Arrow down to Reader Solutions; Chris Green.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users