Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 - 40 mins to boot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NigelCollins

NigelCollins

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:59 PM

This is my first post.

I have a PC I purchased in September 2010. Its a reasonably high spec Intel i5 760 (overclocked) running Windows 7. It been working fine up until yesterday when I decided to reboot as there were one or to windows updates required.

The PC did reboot but only after 40 minutes spending most of that time with 'Starting windows' logo. When it does eventually boot everything seems to work well apart from itunes which also takes 30 or 40 minutes to start.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks

Nigel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:13 PM

Seeing as you over clocked the CPU, I assume this is a custom build? What brand is the HDD? Have you tried uninstalling the updates via programs and features?

#3 NigelCollins

NigelCollins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:38 PM

Hi - Its a custom build by Palicomp - not by me. HDD's are Samsung 1TB. No I havent tried uninstalling updates yet - thats something I will try tomorrow

#4 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:40 PM

HDD's? Are they set up in any kind of RAID array? Here is a Samsung diagnostic utility you can download, burn, and run to test the HDD's to see if they are the issue. http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/downloads/support_in_es.html

Edited by MarkGS, 25 August 2011 - 05:40 PM.

#5 NigelCollins

NigelCollins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:14 AM

Hi - went through an elimination process - tried removing power from hard drives to see if I could get into BIOS - no change
Tried using previous restore point - no change
Finally did what I should have done at start - disconnected all USB peripherals from PC - and that solved it.
Still putting them back one at a time but suspect its one of two external hard drives I have - beed using the for backup

So hopefully problem solved

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users