Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partitions - to Format or not to Format

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kellys Angel

Kellys Angel

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:47 AM

Well its been a while since I came here! :hello:

Different computer... different problem..and frankly I'm bored with it.. and actually have little time to look into it any further :killcomp:
Not sure if its me or the notebook but its causing me grief.. I'm just glad I have a new work ASUS to keep me happy.

Ok I have a Samsung N220 Plus, under a year old.. no discs came with it. Perhaps I set up wrong but I've never been able to back up..

So anyway.. over time its got slower and slower, often freezes and generally just a pain in the backside.. and I'm a bit of a DIY freak but with little knowledge so go creeping around trying to find solutions online.. with varying degrees of success... which could very well be the cause of the problem. :notme:

At some point I moved all my data over to partition D and had just windows & programs etc on C... thinking this should help speed up. But while I think it did for a while it hasnt lasted... and I give up.

I have backed up all my Documents, Pictures and Music which took AGES. The probelm is I dont have my Microsoft Office discs as I moved away from the UK and am now in Switzerland.. so no chance of getting that til I revisit UK at Christmas.

What to do!?? I was about to recover to factory settings but I dont have the MS Office discs... then I was thinking of reformatting partition D.. but have no idea whether this will affect the installed programmes or indeed help the situation.

Partitions look like this:
unamed partition - 20GB Healthy (Recovery partition) [so why cant I backup??]
SYSTEM 99MB NTFS Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition)
C 85GB NTFS Healthy (Boot, PAge File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
D 127.78 GB NTFS Healthy (Logical Drive)

Any advice greatly received!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kellys Angel

Kellys Angel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:25 AM

Still scratching head here.... :scratchhead:

My ultimate aim is to clean up and speed up my little laptop but I dont have either a recovery disc or my MS Office discs...

I'll try to be clearer in my Q's...

:step1: I've only 16% of partition D free... hence wanting to free up space and get organised. If I format D I'm guessing I can download just the backed up data I want to use and they'd be dandy as my installed programmes (Office, iTunes etc) are on C and will still be fine and unafected... So if I have backed up my documents, pictures and music externally am I ok to format partition D?

:step2: Why do I have 4 partitions... ??
Can I merge any of my partitions to give me more space and/or assist with quicker booting?
I have 20GB of empty 'recovery' partition but a back up is never successful. Can I utilise this elsewhere?
I have 99MB of SYSTEM partition - 70% is free... is that too much free space for its purpose? can I utilise elsewhere?
If partition C holds my programs and is just for boot, crash dump and page file, is it big enough to accomodate? 59% is free at the moment. I tend to have a number of progs running at same time...

Help and advice gratefully received! :cowgirl:

#3 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:07 AM

Partitions look like this:
unamed partition - 20GB Healthy (Recovery partition) [so why cant I backup?? --> This is the partition that your machine is restored back to factory setting (optimally). If one were to fiddle around with it and commit caddywampus upon it, the option of recovering the machine back to factory condition will not exist. Or was the recovery partition created by you?

SYSTEM 99MB NTFS Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition) --> This is of course WinRE (Windows Recovery Environment)partition; also known as System Reserved. I believe one can burn the contents of this partition to a CD/DVD and call it a System Repair Disk Disk. There are handy when WinRE becomes corrupt or have become inopperable for any other reason.

C 85GB NTFS Healthy (Boot, PAge File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition) --> This partition - I would dare to guess - is the Windows drive
D 127.78 GB NTFS Healthy (Logical Drive) --> And here we have misc. programmes, media, and whatnot....(If you have programs installed to this partition and you format it, forget about running the the programs that were installed.

As for speeding a system, adding more RAM is a good idea. Or minimizing the number of programms that start with Windows. Disabling unused services, processes, disconnecting any additional hardware at boot (USB printers, drives, reader/writers) and cleaning out/uninstalling old/unused programs may help with adding new life to your laptop. There is a Windows 7 laptop around here with a smilar partition setup as what you have. Most programs go to a nearby partition, as well as media, ducuments, and general storage.

Warning: Please create backup(s) of your disk drive and the partitions thereon. This is easily done with the Create a System Image native program on Windows 7.

On the other hand, the hard drive may be faulty. It is certainly always a good idea to back up everything one holds dear. You never know; and that image backup can cure a lot of ill will.

Note: If the recovery partition is dammaged/overwriten/corrupt, I would
Clean All on the HDD and install Windows fresh. It may be time conuming the first time, but the bennefits may be worth it. It may also be worth noting any proprietary drivers that may be necessary to install before, during, or after the install process. Obtaining the correct hardware drivers for your machine beforehand can also stave off any undue stress.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users