Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to fix corrupted Video file

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:13 AM

Hi. So I have Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004. I recently recorded some TV programming using Media Center and my PC tuner. However while recording, the MCE hung up my entire PC. I let it stay that way till the end of the show I was recording. After rebooting PC and trying to play the file I get file is corrupted message. So the only way I can play it is VLC player. Question: What is a good software for fixing corrupted video files like mpg or avi? Thanks.

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V LX; Processor: Intel i5 2500k; RAM 24GB: CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800); CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800); Video Card: MSI AMD Radeon RX 470 Gaming X 4G GDDR5; Power Supply: OCZ ZS Series 650W 80PLUS Bronze High Performance Power Supply; Multi-card reader: Nippon Labs Delux 3.5" Internal All In One Card Reader/Writer with USB2.0 & eSATA Ports Model ICR-BB. Optical 1: LG GH22NS90; Optical 2:  ASUS BW-12B1ST; Fans: 3x80mm, CPU Cooling: XIGMATEK LOKI SD963. So there are total of 6 fans.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:26 PM

You seem to be saying that VLC media player is the only player it will run on. If so it cannot be that corrupt. For MPEG there is software like MPEG-Corrector but it obviously cannot replace video periods that are completely missing - just make what is left more playable. I don't know of any AVI correction software (other than by editing out the bad portions).

If it runs OK in VLC, use the Convert/Save function to reprocess the video and see what happens. Save any restoring efforts with a new name so you still have the original.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users