Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer stuck on black screen when booting?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BreeLovesPc

BreeLovesPc

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:18 AM

My computer froze up on me yesterday so I restarted it. When my computer came back on it wouldn't load pass the black screen that has the horizontal little white blinking line at the far left corner at the top of the screen. This screen usually is up for no more than 5 seconds but now it's stuck there. I can't access my desktop with all of my files and icons in them. I tried holding down the F8 key to start the computer in safe mode but it wouldn't work =(. I had no idea what I could do to make it boot up correctly.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:37 AM

System manufacturer and model?

Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

Louis

#3 BreeLovesPc

BreeLovesPc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:58 AM

I don't have the windows xp bootable cd, is there anyway I can make my own?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:52 AM

Take a look, ARCDC How To - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic380303.html

Louis

#5 BreeLovesPc

BreeLovesPc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:54 AM

Thank you. I followed the directions on how to make the recovery disc burnt it and tried the disc in the computer and everything was working smoothly until I got to the part where I was suppose to press F8 to accept the license agreement. It said that there wasn't any end user license agreement found and then went on to say that windows had not be installed on my computer and to press enter to exit out of the setup and restart the computer. Did I do something wrong maybe? I also was wondering if I use the disc to restore my computer will it cause me to lose documents and files that I have already on the computer?

Edited by BreeLovesPc, 25 August 2011 - 10:59 AM.

#6 BreeLovesPc

BreeLovesPc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:02 PM

Thanks again :)....I figured out what I was doing wrong on my own.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:20 AM

Glad you resolved it, happy computing :).

Louis

#8 BreeLovesPc

BreeLovesPc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:45 PM

Wait...I hope it isn't too late to re-open this topic. This method given to me worked but the same thing keeps happening. The black screen has reappeared like 7 times. I always take the recovery disk I made and do the same thing and it works but afterwards I've noticed these transparent flickering lines on my screen that was not there before. Is there anything I can do about the recurring black screen and the lines in my monitor screen?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2011 - 05:39 AM

Sounds like a hardware problem of some sort, IMO...to start, I would begin with running the appropriate hard drive diagnostic, obtainable from the website of the respective hard drive manufacturer.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users