Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Load needed DLLs for Kernel"

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 xxx d up xxx

xxx d up xxx

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:01 AM

Yes I have searched and read a few post already. I understand more or less you have to reinstall windows.

I do not have a Windows CD though. I cannot start in safe mode. And I cannot "restore to last known working config".

What can I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:35 AM

You can start by telling us the system manufacturer and model...and then be specific in describing what you deem to be the primary characteristics of your system problems :).

Louis

#3 xxx d up xxx

xxx d up xxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:31 AM

You can start by telling us the system manufacturer and model...and then be specific in describing what you deem to be the primary characteristics of your system problems :).

Louis

It is a Dell Laptop. Running Windows XP.

A week or 2 before my CPU crapped out, when I would start my CPU, I would get an error message to having something to do with "DLL load error" or something to that effect. Read it was a registry error, so I downloaded a free registry program. I ran it, CPU seem to be running better, but I was still getting that message upon startup. The last 2 times (when my CPU was still working) I had to unfortunately do a hard-shut down by holding the power button, because I could not get the "turn off computer" function to work.

I then went to start-up the next day and recieved this message of "load needs DLLs for Kernel"

Edited by xxx d up xxx, 25 August 2011 - 10:33 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:14 AM

You can try creating a recovery CD, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic380303.html .

Once said CD is created, try running the chkdsk /r command.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:
  • Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
Louis

Edited by hamluis, 26 August 2011 - 09:50 AM.

#5 xxx d up xxx

xxx d up xxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:53 AM

I started to run the recovery CD.

When I got to the command line and went to run the chkdsk /p I got the following error message and it went an all blue screen:

STOP: c0000139 ENTRY POINT NOT FOUND

The prodedure entry point ntserialzeboot could not be located in the dynamic. Link libary ntdll.dll

Does this mean my computer is completely screwed? I guess there is no way to get any of the information and saved files off of the hard drive?

Edited by hamluis, 26 August 2011 - 09:49 AM.
Removed unnecessary quote.

#6 xxx d up xxx

xxx d up xxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:11 AM

ANYONE?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:16 AM

Try entering the Recovery Console...again...and running the chkdsk /r command, as originally requested.

Louis

#8 xxx d up xxx

xxx d up xxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:34 AM

Try entering the Recovery Console...again...and running the chkdsk /r command, as originally requested.

Louis

I did do this too, sorry, forgot to mention it. I got the same blue screen with the same message:

STOP: c0000139 ENTRY POINT NOT FOUND

The procedure entry point ntserializeboot could not be located in the dynamic. Link libary ntdll.dll

Edited by hamluis, 30 August 2011 - 11:51 AM.
Corrected typo.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:05 PM

Hmmm...I don't see where anyone has a clue.

Ntserializeboot.dll seems to be valid Win 7 file function of valid Win 7 file ntdll.dll, http://www.win7dll.info/ntdll_dll.html .

Which seemingly points (IMO) to file corruption/damage...which seemingly calls for either a repair install or manual replacement of the referenced file.

Louis

#10 xxx d up xxx

xxx d up xxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:34 PM

Hmmm...I don't see where anyone has a clue.

Ntserializeboot.dll seems to be valid Win 7 file function of valid Win 7 file ntdll.dll, http://www.win7dll.info/ntdll_dll.html .

Which seemingly points (IMO) to file corruption/damage...which seemingly calls for either a repair install or manual replacement of the referenced file.

Louis

Sorry, I really am not the good with CPU's... so what you are saying is my CPU is completely f-ed? OR can I do the repair install or manual replacement of the file?

edit: No way to get anything off of the hard drive I assume?

Edited by xxx d up xxx, 30 August 2011 - 01:34 PM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:10 PM

Lack of information...leads to nothing but guesses on my part.

I would do a repair install because there doesn't seem to be a documented trail for this particular error.

As for retrieving files from the hard drive...depends on what files you have in mind. Data files can be moved easily by just attaching the hard drive to a second system and moving desired files. The registry, the O/S, and programs installed...cannot be moved to another system in that manner.

Louis

#12 xxx d up xxx

xxx d up xxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:03 AM

Lack of information...leads to nothing but guesses on my part.

I would do a repair install because there doesn't seem to be a documented trail for this particular error.

As for retrieving files from the hard drive...depends on what files you have in mind. Data files can be moved easily by just attaching the hard drive to a second system and moving desired files. The registry, the O/S, and programs installed...cannot be moved to another system in that manner.

Louis

What other information do you need? Perhaps I can track it down.

How do you do a "repair install"?

The files I would like to retrieve are just pictures, notepad and word documents, and things of that nature. I do not wish to copy or keep the registry, the O/S, or any programs. How do I go about attaching the damaged CPU's harddrive to another CPU that is working? Do I need special cables?

Thanks for everyone's help so far, I really apperciate it. I am not good with computers and need all the help I can get. Thanks for being patient as well.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:29 AM

Well...you cannot do a repair install...if you don't have a valid Windows install CD.

You say that the system is a Dell and you have neither installation disks nor a working restore-to-factory-defaults option.

What model Dell laptop is this, please?

Louis

#14 xxx d up xxx

xxx d up xxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2011 - 10:11 AM

Well...you cannot do a repair install...if you don't have a valid Windows install CD.

You say that the system is a Dell and you have neither installation disks nor a working restore-to-factory-defaults option.

What model Dell laptop is this, please?

Louis

It is a Dell Latitude D820 laptop running Windows XP Home Edition.

#15 lhamil64

lhamil64

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 01 September 2011 - 10:29 AM

Weird timing, because I just had this problem on a Dell desktop also running XP Home. I was getting a BSOD (blue screen) when booting from the XP CD, but resetting the BIOS fixed it. Try going into your bios and find the section to reload the defaults. Also, try booting in safe mode to see what file is causing the error. If it stops at bootvid.dll (like mine was), you might be able to just replace a couple of files using the recovery console.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users