Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hurricane Irene

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 25 August 2011 - 03:14 AM

Hello to those living on the east coast of the USA, I am starting an open topic to discuss the east coast's recent weather events.

In recent history, the north eastern USA has experienced tornadoes, specially in the Springfield Massachusetts area, Earth quakes from Virginia effecting most of the east coast USA.

Now a category 3 Hurricane named Irene in the Atlantic Ocean, located east of Florida, which is now headed on a collision course with the north eastern USA.

Being that present forecasts predict the storm is headed towards the New York, Connecticut area and I live here in Norwich Connecticut, a city 7 miles inland from Long Island Sound, there is a very good chance my area will experience either a direct or indirect hit with this monster storm.

I am opening this thread as a general public open discussion about past hurricane experiences and future concerns related to hurricanes and natural weather related phenomenons.

What are your concerns? Those discussions are most welcomed to this topic.

This topic can be used to discuss what you did during the height of the storm, regardless of what your location was when the hurricane affected your area.

How did these weather related experiences effected you and your loved ones can also be part of this discussion.

Looking forward to seeing some replies.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 25 August 2011 - 03:50 AM

Do you know when this storm is gonna hit? I've been studying about these hurricane/cyclone in school and hopefully it does not reach to catagory 5. Stay safe Bruce with your family and Oreo :hug:

Edited: Added the word "not" because of typo.

Edited by killerx525, 25 August 2011 - 04:02 AM.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:01 AM

@ Killer525, they are predicting a landfall in my area sometime this coming Sunday, exact time depends on how fast it moves northward.

You can track this particular storm at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/#IRENE

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 25 August 2011 - 04:08 AM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:04 AM

Hopefully the hurricane slows down when moving inland to reduce the damage.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:14 AM

In wind speed yes, but slowing down in forward speed would only subject affected areas longer with more wind and rain.

Last time Connecticut was hit with an actual Hurricane of this magnitude was in 1985 with Hurricane Gloria.

Other than that, we mostly experienced the left overs of storms that hit North Carolina before coming north, they were mostly rain events.

Bruce.

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:40 AM

Were you around the area at the time that hurricane happened?

>Michael 

#7 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:30 AM

@ MrBruce1959

I hope that this is not considered off topic?

The most important thing is to stay calm, NEVER PANIC! Simply said, when your time is up, not a thing you can do about it.

I would like to share two experiences I actually had many years ago, in the same area, but years apart, due to severe Electrical and Wind Storms. They were not funny to go through, but there is some Humour in the end result.

First one happened in 1969, I was driving the car, at the time I was aged 23, my passengers were two work Mates, John, in his mid 40's, Athiest and a pronounced Hippy, then, Ian, similar age, but a devoted Christian. BTW Huey is slang for God.

When the Storm hit, I just concentrated on keeping the car on the road and diddn't say any thing, there was lightning bolts hitting the fences either side of the road, but I could hear my Mates, in the Backhground.

When a Bolt hit close to our left side John yelled out, "Hey Huey, send it down, You missed me, try again?" Ian said nothing. Next bolt hit a fence on the right side of the road. John said "Hey Huey, aim off today?" Ian freaked out and said "Please shut up, John, he may hear you"

When we got to our destination we had to help Ian from the car, he was as white as a Ghost. I will not go further.

Next one was in 1974, I had a totialy different Job, but needed to go into the same Town as then. I picked up a hitch hiker that wanted to go there too. During the trip he told me that he was a travelling Preacher.

When we got to the area, the same thing happened, but I knew how to handle it as from before, I looked him and his eyes were just rolling in his head. I just simply said "If Huey wanted you or I done, then tonight is the night". He calmed down.

Hope this helps?

Ray
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:52 AM

@ Drovers Dog, your post is not off topic and was most welcomed, thanks for sharing.

@ Killer525, Hurricane Gloria bypassed North Carolina and moved Northward, traveled over western part of Long Island New York and came inland into the Bridgeport Connecticut area moving north at 60 MPH with 105 MPH winds.

My city was in the North-Eastern quadrant of the eye, which in the Northern hemisphere is considered the area with the strongest winds.

Many trees were knocked down and electricity was out in some areas for as long as 5 days.

The whole storm took less then 5 hours to come and go, in fact the Sun was out within 5 hours after the storm made landfall. This storm named Irene is a slow mover, this will do more damage with both wind and rain.

Another link for monitoring the track of this current hurricane is this one below.

http://www.weather.com/

Bruce.

#9 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,606 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:48 AM

I'm in Providence, Mr Bruce, and I'm sitting here holding a rabbit's foot in my crossed fingers while I knock my head on a wooden table. In my youth I found such events exhilarating, but now I'm old and am not looking forward to the inevitable clean up after this party.
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#10 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:57 AM

Just wondering, what are you gonna do to prepare for this hurricane when it hits?

>Michael 

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,917 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:26 PM

In NJ. It's expected at 6 pm EDT in Cape May. That is the southernmost point of the state. They are expected a serious event in that the state has urged evacuation of the barrier islands. Of course the coast is quite susceptible but it is a state wide event. The storm is 200 miles wide so you do not need to be near the eye to get pummeled by wind and rain. Catagory 2 or 3 is expected.
Better safe than sorry as this can be a 100 year event.

hurricane scale

I recommend you gas up your vehicle tommorrow and get some cash as if poer goes out pumps and AYMs are Fail.

Have a GO Bag

New York City Office of Emergency Management provides a good preparedness list here
http://www.nyc.gov/html/oem/html/get_prepared/supplies.shtml
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#12 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,606 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:42 PM

Just wondering, what are you gonna do to prepare for this hurricane when it hits?

Who, me? Nailing a Horseshoe to the door is next on the agenda. I'll go out early tomorrow and collect some 4 leaf clovers. Oh, and let some crickets loose in the basement.
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#13 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:02 PM

Were In The "low" catagory where I live, BUT I have been keepin a eye on this Monster
Storm, I have family and friends in the effected areas...
@ boobme,
That's a very helpful list! they are also saying that if you are able to ride out
the storm in your own home, to fill your bathtub with water as well, for whatever
you may have that need water outside of your drinkin water, and a bucket to be able
to flush your toliets..
A Little while ago I saw the press conference from Gov. Chris Christy(NJ),as well
as Gov. Michael Nutter ( Philidelphia)...It's lookin like a catory 3...This isn't good
at all....
BE SAFE EVERYBODY!!
MissPlaced
and check in as your able!!!

You want to be great, Learn how to heal people, To hurt people is easy

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#14 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:49 PM

This is the latest that i could find.....
abcnews~~

Edited by MissPlaced, 25 August 2011 - 05:51 PM.

You want to be great, Learn how to heal people, To hurt people is easy

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#15 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:06 PM

As of the time of this post, it is perfectly clear now, that the state of North Carolina will certainly be the first U.S. landmass to be affected by the effects of Hurricane Irene.

I wish everyone in North Carolina to be safe and I hope your loses are minimal!

I am sure a lot of you will lose electricity at the height of the storm, which is expected to unleash its fury on you on Saturday, I hope to hear from those of you in NC in this forum and that you share your experiences with us.

Our day here in Connecticut will be sometime during Sunday, as it looks now, Eastern Connecticut and Rhode Island will be missed by the eye, which will travel inland near Nags Head North Carolina and track towards New York City, New York, however we will be in the eastern side where the wind will be a major factor.

The rain will be heaviest in Pennsylvania and New York State.

Now depending on how far inland into North Carolina it tracks, the winds in our area could drop down to below hurricane strength before it reaches New York, Connecticut and Rhode Island.

Again, anyone who experiences any effects from this storm named Irene is welcomed to share your experiences in this thread after the storm passes your area.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 25 August 2011 - 07:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users