Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help reinstalling Windows XP Pro

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 gayler

gayler

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:05 PM

I have a Gateway Desktop That I bought from my wifes work. It had all files deleted because she works for an insurance company. I installed the operating system from the operating system disk, then installed applications and drivers from the disk, and finally installed power DVD 2-channel from a disk. After a restart It has the screensaver of a green hillside with blue sky with clouds, but the curser will not move. I even tried a different mouse and no change. I plug in the receiver for the wireless mouse and the green light doesn't light up

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:45 AM

What happens if you boot to safe mode?

#3 gayler

gayler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:11 AM

Same thing in safe mode.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,571 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:44 AM

Then you'll need to start again. I suggest you do the following:

1) Boot to the XP CD
2) When the routine begins, choose the option to delete the existing partition(s). Then recreate the partition(s) and format.
3) Install the OS
4) Install all drivers starting with the chipset driver. DO NOT install any other applications.
5) Reboot. Does it get into Windows? If not, we have a problem of some sort. If it does, then do the following:

6) Install a good anti virus application.
7) Go to Windows Update and install all software updates. DO NOT install any hardware or driver updates - those should NEVER be installed from Windows Update, only from the OEM websites.
7) Reboot. Are we okay at this point?

#5 gayler

gayler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:43 PM

Actually everything worked fine until I restarted the computer after installing all the drivers. If I put in the windows XP disk now it asks for the product code and I don't have it. Is there something else I need to do to "Boot to the XP CD"?

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,571 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:45 PM

Is it booting to the cd? If you don't have the product code how did you install the first time?

#7 gayler

gayler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:57 PM

No the CD is not in it. When I installed the operating system it did not ask for a product code. I just put the disk in and It started. This computer is the one my wife used at work at Farm Bureau They deleted all files, I bought the computer and corperate office sent out the disk for the opperating system.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,571 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:17 PM

I'm having a real hard time following you. I don't understand how you installed the OS the first time and I don't understand how and why it is asking for a product code if you aren't booting to the cd. But okay, let's start at the top.

Go into bios and make sure the cd / dvd drive is the first device in the boot order. Save the changes and exit bios. Insert the XP CD in the drive and reboot.

#9 gayler

gayler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:56 PM

I had the installation disk from Gateway. I am reinstalling the operating system from that disk now.Hopefully this will take care of my problem with the mouse not working. The only thing I can think of that I did wrong is the instructions on the disk of applications and drivers says to insert disk, close all programs, restart computer. Then follow the on screen instructions. I did not restart after inserting the disk.

#10 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:33 PM

Could you repeat it to step 1 and reinstalling your operating system again :killcomp: And next time if you installing something and ask you to restart your computer please restart it. except you are lazy like I am :axe:

This thing happen if you have installing lots of software / driver that need to reboot and you collecting them and force them to go at one way. And I believe your Windows has been very confused so it freeze / hangs :oopsign:

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,571 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:32 AM

What?

#12 gayler

gayler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:09 AM

What What? All is working fine now. Now I just have to transer all my info from old computer to new computer. Thanks everyone!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users