Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD Burner Doesn't Burn Anymore

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ladie_nite

ladie_nite

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:15 PM

Hi All!

I've had a Dell Dimension E510 for about 6 years and things have been fine (if you disregard the general slowing down of the computer). I use my burner a lot and tried to burn something yesterday. It took a few times of opening and shutting the disc tray before the DVD-R was recognized and when it started to burn, it wouldn't burn past 1%. I finally had to force my computer shut.

Does anyone have ideas on what to do? Should I get an external burner? Try to fix it?

Help??!!

Thank you!!!

:lol:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:29 PM

Some things you can try:

• If you recently installed some burning software, uninstall it.
  • Use the fix given on this Microsoft page.
  • Clean the laser using one of those drive cleaning kits (or if it is a laptop, carefully wipe the laser with a soft dry cloth).
  • Open the Device Manager (Start > Run > type "devmgmt.msc"). Locate the CD/DVD drive, right click on it and select "Uninstall". After it has uninstalled reboot the computer (it will be automatically reinstalled).

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 ladie_nite

ladie_nite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:10 PM

I have a desktop and not to familiar with hardware parts. Would cleaning the lens require someone that really knows their way around computers?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:17 PM

Try all the other methods first.

To clean the lens you need to use a lens cleaning kit like this:

Posted Image

By the way I do not specifically endorse this brand, it's just the first pic I found.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users