Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moved Win7 to SATA Controller Card, Can't Boot

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rook0316

Rook0316

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:47 PM

The SATA ports on my mobo are fried. I can tell because I took the heat sink off the controller and it is 100% fried. I know the best solution would be to buy another mobo, but that is not going to happen at this point.

I purchased a 2 port SATA controller card, attached the HDD & DVD, turned off the onboard controller in the BIOS, and booted the computer. The drives show on the controller cards BIOS screen.

On first boot, The Win7 logo shows for a split second, then I get the recovery screen asking me to insert my disk to repair. I then get the error 0xC000000F. I have searched everywhere but have not found any specific information like my situation. I tried Startup Repair, but it did not find anything wrong.

I would do a fresh install of Win7 but, it is an OEM disk from HP and from what I understand (and have tried) is they will only allow the OEM disk to install on a certain configurations. I believe the SATA card is preventing this from happening.

Here are the questions I have:
1. Is the computer looking to boot from a different drive or partition? This is what I think the problem is, but have no idea how to fix that. I think there are 3 partitions, System, OS, and Recovery.
2. If it is a driver problem, how do I get my Win7 install to see the drivers, when I can't boot in to the OS?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Also, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, was not sure if it would be a hardware or software problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:35 AM

FWIW:

If it's an HP system...it probably has a nonstandard boot section...which is on the hard drive.

The system expects to boot from a drive attached to the motherboard, not from a controller card. That expectation may be overcome by setting the BIOS to boot from the detected controller card (should be reflected as SCSI device/controller).

If the HP system/BIOS is incapable of properly detecting the the controller card...because drivers for such are not installed...I don't see a way around that with an HP system.

Louis

#3 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:52 PM

Sometimes Windows have problem if you change your Mainboard or your IDE / SATA Controller. If this happen Reinstalling your system will be better. Repair Install or Clean Install it's you that decide.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users