Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Site Adviser disapeared from FF 3.6.20

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:38 PM

I have been using McAfee site adviser for some time now with no issues. I have FF 3.6.20 on a Tough Book running XP SP3. Suddenly today no site adviser in the bottom right.I checked windows explorer and the program was still there.
Did an uninstall, restarted, and a reinstall from SA web site. Still no SA in FF.
Opened an IE window and SA is there.
I do not know the version of SA. Before and after the uninstall and reinstall there is an Add on in FF Add on window that says Site adviser 3.3.1 will be installed when Firefox is restarted. Don't know how long that has been there but it doesn't do anything no matter how many times Fire fox is restarted. Also, there is no disable or uninstall buttons for this add on. Just a cancel button. I clicked this but after a "are you sure you want to cancel?" box nothing happens.
I searched Google and see problems with newer versions of Firefox but no mention of 3.6.20.
Did some update come along that killed Site adviser with FF 3.6.20???
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Best Regards
Nawtheasta

Edited by Nawtheasta, 24 August 2011 - 09:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:04 PM

A little additional info.
FF Trouble shooting info. lists the extension like this.

McAfee SiteAdvisor 3.3.1 true {B7082FAA-CB62-4872-9106-E42DD88EDE45}
I cannot seem to locate a corresponding file.

The Site Adviser plug in is listed as 3.4.0.135

I have no clue why SA 3.3.1 is sitting in Extensions as a ready to be installed item.
I had requested no manual updates. It seems Fire Fox does not know how to handle a "ready to be installed" item that does not work.

Edited by Nawtheasta, 25 August 2011 - 11:05 PM.

#3 JSeabra

JSeabra

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:07 PM

Hi,
I'm having exactly the same problem in one of my two PCs, both running XP PRO SP3 and FF 3.6.20.
Apparently they both tried to update Site Advisor today, with different results.
One, without Windows Defender, installed the new Site Advisor without any problems; it shows a "McAfee SiteAdvisor 3.3.1" extension, no McAfee SiteAdvisor plugin installed and Site Advisor is working fine.
The other with Windows Defender has the same problems described by you - "SA 3.3.1 is sitting in Extensions as a ready to be installed item", "McAfee SiteAdvisor plugin is listed as 3.4.0.135"
and Site Advisor doesn't work :angry: (but works in IE8) :crazy:.

I mention Windows Defender because I noticed the following system events:

Event ID: 3004
Windows Defender Real-Time Protection agent has detected changes. Microsoft recommends you analyze the software that made these changes for potential risks. You can use information about how these programs operate to choose whether to allow them to run or remove them from your computer. Allow changes only if you trust the program or the software publisher. Windows Defender can't undo changes that you allow.
For more information please see the following:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=74409
Scan ID: {EAEA5526-BA37-421E-9808-6EAEB6786518}
User: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Name: Unknown
ID:
Severity: Not Yet Classified
Category: Not Yet Classified
Path Found: service:0286631314750849mcinstcleanup;file:C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Installer\cleanup.ini
Alert Type: Unclassified software
Detection Type:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event ID: 3005
Windows Defender Real-Time Protection agent has taken action to protect this machine from spyware or other potentially unwanted software.
For more information please see the following:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=74409
Scan ID: {EAEA5526-BA37-421E-9808-6EAEB6786518}
User: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Name: Unknown
ID:
Severity: Not Yet Classified
Category: Not Yet Classified
Alert Type: Unclassified software
Action: Ignore
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have already tried to uninstall and then re-install SiteAdvisor, after shutting down and disabling Windows Defender, but with no success.
Thanks in advance for any help in solving this issue.
Best regards,
José

Edited by JSeabra, 30 August 2011 - 10:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users