I've been working on this issue all day and it's driving me crazy, time to vent it out in a nice long post...
- Dell Latitude E6500
- Windows XP Pro SP3
- 500gb Hard Drive (Seagate)
- 3.5gb RAM
Everything started at 8:30am this morning, computer had been working fine up until then.
- start menu minimized and disabled, off-screen sometimes
- some windows will not open, including property pages
- network services unavailable / missing, will not recognize USB drive
- event viewer errors in Apps: EventSystem 4609, STacSV 65535
- unable to access details, logged every few minutes since this AM
- system restore unavailable due to Acronis, Acronis tab empty
- audio and auto update service list as "stopping" until audio app error
- IDT Audio, unable to uninstall, error from InstallShield
- RPC service and Web client service listed as "starting" - never starts
- COM+ services set to manual, unable to start without timeout
- Windows Registry Recovery message appears at login
- One of the files containing the system's registry data had to be restored...
- slow startup and shutdown, "Windows is starting up" and "Saving your settings"
What I've Tried
- rebooted into safe mode, same service issues, unable to open certain windows / apps still
- able to restore start menu by adding a toolbar, unlocking it, removing the toolbar
- unable to load files from USB drive, system recognizes hardware but drive never appears
- rebooted to two different Windows XP Pro CDs, BSOD before menu loads
- STOP code 0x0000007B, no text reference
- scheduled and ran CHKDSK on the drive, no errors found, unable to access logs
- started COM+ event service, error: 1053 did not respond in a timely fashion
- this error happened with any other service I tried to start
- stopped RPC service while status said "starting", options all grayed out
- opened ComExp.msc (sys32/Com), crashes when nav to Com Svcs -> Computer
- ran SFC /SCANNOW, froze up at 0% with no progress, canceled
- reviewed installed applications, most recent is "Folder Marker 1.4", no other changes
I'm running out of ideas to try, so any and all help would be appreciated. I can provide some info from the OS but I am unable to copy files to/from, or analyze anything requiring a properties or details page. I'm convinced the issue has to be in the services, but I don't understand why it would affect so much more of the system, and why it appears to have started at random.
Thanks in advance!!
*Edit - added the start time of the issue
Edited by whoabuddy, 24 August 2011 - 09:27 PM.