Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Speed Up Start Up

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 cgirl0111

cgirl0111

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:29 PM

For windows Xp?

It could just be that my PC is getting old (it is!!!) but it feels like my computer takes forever to start up anymore. Could anyone help me out with this? I can go through hijack this and remove things but I don't want to remove anything that is necessary.

Moderator Note: cgirl011 has already had malware removed from PC and has been declared clean. ~ OB

Edited by Orange Blossom, 24 August 2011 - 06:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:50 PM

Run Soluto. It will tell you where the bottlenecks lie.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:51 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Slow Computer-browser Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic87058.html

Louis

#4 cgirl0111

cgirl0111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:31 PM

sony vaio rb50, it's a pentium 4 3.2 ghz w/ hyperthreading and i beloieve 2 gb ram are installed. I'll run that program, on my laptop at the moment.

#5 cgirl0111

cgirl0111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:27 AM

I ran soluto and went from 60 start up entries to 46. It's down to 1 minute 59 seconds. 1:54 of them can't be removed from Soluto yet. Is that a decent time?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:39 AM

Just a clarification...do you think that 2 minutes from start to desktop...is a long time for you to wait or do something else?

Louis

#7 cogs10

cogs10

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:24 PM

certainly sounds like there's something holding you back. run eventvwr.msc, and see if there are
errors upon boot. is the slowdown before the welcome screen or after you click a name?

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,584 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:30 PM

Just a clarification...do you think that 2 minutes from start to desktop...is a long time for you to wait or do something else?

Louis

I'm with Luis here - there's nothing to fix. Two minutes is fine. And it's even faster if you don't sit and watch it boot.

#9 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:26 PM

46 startup items is nuts. I have 3 or 4. My XP REBOOTS in 41 seconds. Startup time is probably ~20 sec.

Attached File  Restart-Time.png   6.2KB   1 downloads

Edited by .X., 25 August 2011 - 06:28 PM.

#10 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:44 PM

At the moment, I have 6 items in my startup. One is there for testing, and I don't really need any of them in there. From cold off, my XP system takes 45 seconds to a settled desktop.
If I took out a few things like the dual boot screen waiting 2 seconds, searching my diskette drive for a boot disk for 2 seconds, and those 6 items in startup, it would be around 25 seconds.
In my experience, there are rarely any startup items that need to be in the startup. I remove them from msconfigs startup tab, and I also remove any services that I am not using, or set them to manual start.

There are tons of hoggy software that bully their way into the startup, like apple quicktimes qttask.exe, which grows back even when you remove it from startup. You have to delete qttask.exe to give it the hint.
All of these manufactures are vying to have their quicky launch icon on your task bar. With a little reading and trial, you can slim them down to the things that you WANT to be there. Nothing wrong with that.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#11 cgirl0111

cgirl0111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:12 PM

It boots to the welcome screen and into windows where I can see my background in no time flat. Then it sits there doing what i think is loading program after program in the background. Now that I ran that program it's down to 2 minutes, it was much longer then that.. I think i cut it in half. I only have three or four things in my task bar...

#12 cgirl0111

cgirl0111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:07 AM

cogs10, doesn't seem to be too much in there..

Faulting application nmsrvc.exe, version 11.0.8268.0, faulting module nmcore.dll, version 11.2.9117.0, fault address 0x001ddeb9.
Hanging application firefox.exe, version 6.0.0.4240, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.
The Pure Networks Platform Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).
The Pure Networks Platform Service service hung on starting. (I removed this with the above mentioned program)
TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.
The time service has not been able to synchronize the system time for 49152 seconds because none of the time providers has been able to provide a usable time stamp. The system clock is unsynchronized.
The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort2, did not respond within the timeout period.

Those are all of the errors/warnings over the past 2 days.

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,584 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:30 AM

I have 3 or 4. My XP REBOOTS in 41 seconds. Startup time is probably ~20 sec.

Attached File  Restart-Time.png   6.2KB   1 downloads

Okay, that's you. Different systems and different configurations take different times to boot. What's the difference how long it takes as long as it runs properly once it does boot? I don't own a system that takes less than two minutes to finish booting (and that's a bunch of systems).

#14 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:44 AM

Run Soluto. It will tell you where the bottlenecks lie.

I'm curious about Soluto. Is it similar to Black Viper's XP Services Configuration program? A description of the Soluto program would be appreciated as it's very vague at the website.

I can't even begin to imagine having 46 items in StartUp. I have 3 or 4 at the moment and cold boot to Desktop takes about 45 seconds. I've always turned on the computer, started the coffee, pottied the dog and fed her, coffee is ready and so is computer. Gotta love it! :wink:

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#15 cogs10

cogs10

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:02 PM

i had a bad experience with soluto, and i wouldn't recommend it. if you need my experience, pm me.
no, black viper, at least, offers a way to toggle services manually, without a program. his program is probably far more transparent than soluto.

cgirl, track down each one of these problems on the internet, one at a time.

Edited by cogs10, 26 August 2011 - 03:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users