Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WIN XP Home Need help on what to do...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 FMC12011

FMC12011

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:23 PM

Hello to all! I'm new to this forum and I wanted to ask what to do after using DBAN on my WIN XP Home Edition. I used DBAN and did the dod command which took 5 and 1/2 hours to complete. I have researched how to use this and such. But I don't know what to do after as even if I have the recovery disk it doesn't work.

(Sony Vaio Recovery and Documentation Disc for the RS Series.)

I restarted my PC with the disk on, loads as a black screen and it says "REBOOT AND SELECT PROPER BOOT DEVICE. OR INSERT BOOT MEDIA IN SELECTED BOOT DEVICE AND PRESS A KEY"
Sorry for the caps.

I'm using a desktop computer.
It's a Sony Vaio
Version / Model : PCV-RS402
------------------PCV-2246

CPU: 2.80c GHZ Intel Pentium 4 with Hyper Threading
HDD: 120 GB (7200 rpm)

and to also add that I used the DBAN 2.2.6 Beta burned in a CD-R/DVD-R media.

I want to reinstall Win XP Home like when it was brand new and have a clean memory slate.

does anyone have any solutions or advice? please help if you can and thank you in advance.

=)

Edited by FMC12011, 24 August 2011 - 05:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:21 PM

I'm a bit confused by your post. Are you saying that you are attempting to boot from a Sony recovery CD to reinstall Windows and it won't boot from the CD? If so are you pressing a key during post to select the boot device or have you changed the boot order in the BIOS to boot from CD first?

#3 FMC12011

FMC12011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:29 PM

I'm a bit confused by your post. Are you saying that you are attempting to boot from a Sony recovery CD to reinstall Windows and it won't boot from the CD? If so are you pressing a key during post to select the boot device or have you changed the boot order in the BIOS to boot from CD first?

I already checked my BIOS before I did this and set it up so that it uses the CD/DVD RW Rom. But the CD doesn't load up and I can't reinstall Windows.

#4 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:38 PM

Well it booted off DBAN so I presume your reader is OK. The only thing I can suggest is to check the disk for scratches or smudges. You could also try burning a few different bootable CDs to test (Puppy Linux, Ultimate Boot CD, etc). If they work and your Sony disk don't then I would say for sure it's the disk.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:44 PM

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=7&ved=0CFIQFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pendrivelinux.com%2Finstall-dban-to-a-usb-flash-drive-using-windows%2F&ei=0HxVTpuaL8HYmAXh-dDzDw&usg=AFQjCNEkeMiG6qPTHv4uWpLXWatDsH1y1g

The link above is for a USB Drive version of DBAN, and contains this following information -
Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN) is a simple bootable data destruction tool created by Darik Horn. It can be used to securely wipe an entire hard drive or an attached external disk (IDE or SCSI), completely deleting all contents of the disk. Upon completion, you should be able to run DBAN from your USB device.

#6 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:53 PM

He's already used DBAN off a CD.

#7 FMC12011

FMC12011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:04 PM

Well it booted off DBAN so I presume your reader is OK. The only thing I can suggest is to check the disk for scratches or smudges. You could also try burning a few different bootable CDs to test (Puppy Linux, Ultimate Boot CD, etc). If they work and your Sony disk don't then I would say for sure it's the disk.

Oh the CD works fine since I also have tried this before proceeding... as it has some of the software included to the Sony Vaio package x:

#8 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:26 PM

Do you really use DBAN and erase everything on your hardrive? that was very bad decision I think as it will erase your Hidden Recovery Partition that contain your Recovery Mode if your Laptop come with it.

If you already back up your Sony Recovery to CD. I believe there will be a couple of CD except you back up it to DVD.

Btw. Could you tell you Vaio Model? It will begin with V not PCV-RS402 or PCV-2246.
You Model will be under your LCD Screen or on your Laptop original Box.

Honestly. using DBAN for your erasing your data is nonsense as someone could recover it. it's better to put your hardrive on ground and give a shot of nuclear bomb to that hardrive :smash:

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users