Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting Up Shared Folder On Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Armadillo19

Armadillo19

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:46 PM

Dear God, how can I explain how frustrating this has been...Ok, so just a very brief back story, my job has a shared Toshiba file, where all scanned documents, and received faxes can be viewed as PDFs. Everything was fine until my computer (Windows XP) crashed, and I rebooted it with Windows 7. Everything else has been fine, but resetting up this file has been a nightmare. After about 15 calls, someone was finally able to create a folder that worked yesterday, however today it is back to the drawing board. Additionally, the folder that was set up was NOT the same one that my co-workers use, which is fine as long as I can access the data, but for whatever reason it is not working...I don't know if it has to do with the network path, the file name, or what.

Now, I am definitely hooked up to the network, and I definitely have network discovery on. Password protect is not on so that anyone can view the shared documents. If it makes any difference, the printer/copier/fax machine/scanner is a Toshiba E-Studio202L machine. When I click homegroup/sharing options, everything is checked off...I really do not know what the problem is, as the documents are just not getting forwarded to my folder (or any folder). If anyone could provide any assistance I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:53 PM

Where is this folder located on a different location?

#3 Armadillo19

Armadillo19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:04 PM

Where is this folder located on a different location?

Please forgive my ignorance in what you mean...the name of the file that I want to send it to is located on my desktop as "C:\Toshiba Scans"
I am not sure what the exact location of the folder is for my co-workers, as I'm the only one in right now. Does this answer your question? Unfortunately my network/computer knowledge is very limited, so I apologize.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:31 PM

if its on your local drive then you should have no issues scanning. As you already should have permissions to it. Try moving it to c:\users\username\desktop

#5 Armadillo19

Armadillo19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:39 PM

Unfortunately it's just a shortcut. Apparently being on the network isn't the crux of the issue, it is just configuring a folder where all faxes/scans go to on my desktop. I'm not sure if I'm explaining this correctly or not, I apologize if I'm not.

#6 Armadillo19

Armadillo19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:57 PM

Oh and it is now in c:\users\username\desktop

I just don't know how to forward what I need into this folder.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:30 PM

Look in the settings of the Toshiba Scanning applications.

#8 Armadillo19

Armadillo19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:55 PM

Ok, so it looks as though the problem is that my IP address changed (last digit was a 9 yesterday, today it's a 12), and therefore the path is wrong. So, we went into the printer's application and registration, and changed the path so that the IP address (ending in 12, and which could change), was replaced by the computer's name (which is OCRDAC). However, for some reason this did not work, although the Toshiba representative thought it would, and couldn't figure out the problem.

Any ideas on this one?

Thanks for all your help!

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:55 PM

The folder is on your computer so the IP changing on your machine would have no impact on scanners and such and where the files go. So did the IP change on the Printer? If it did then I would recommend having the IP address set to static for the toshiba printer.

#10 Armadillo19

Armadillo19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:50 AM

The folder is on your computer so the IP changing on your machine would have no impact on scanners and such and where the files go. So did the IP change on the Printer? If it did then I would recommend having the IP address set to static for the toshiba printer.

Hmm, ok. My understanding is that the computer's IP address changed, but I didn't think the printer's did (actually, I'm sure the printer's didn't). However, the place where it was being routed used to end in .9, but then changed to .12

But, it sounds like what you're saying is that this wouldn't impact anything, so I'm really not sure. Hmm...

Either way, thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users