Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer hangs, then screens go black and come back during games

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vertigoelectric

vertigoelectric

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:21 PM

First I want to say that over the years, not a single one of my problems I had started a topic about were solved through bleepingcomputer forums. I hope that this changes and that my faith in this community can be restored. That being said, I am quite desperate and frustrated so I'm posting about this problem in multiple places.

Secondly, I apologize if this is not in the correct section. I don't know if the problem is caused by hardware or software. All I know is that it only happens when running games or game-related software.

Now, to the point:
------------------

So here's what happens. When I play some games, at some random time the computer will completely freeze for a few seconds. Then the screens (I have two) will go black and then come back on (a lot like if you were to change screen resolution settings in Windows).

When the video comes back on, usually everything resumes as normal, but sometimes some manner of oddity occurs. Here are some things that have happened after the screens go blank and come back on:

- The game I was playing is gone (just no longer running, no error message)
- Video graphics drivers malfunction, including DirectX failure (requires reboot)
- BSOD (has only happened once, and I was playing FEAR 3)
- Game switches from windowed mode to full screen mode by itself (has only happened while playing Stepmania)
- I am left with a strange rectangular region of pixelated artifacts.

Please keep in mind that these things do not always happen, but HAVE happened at one point or another, making them worth mentioning. MOST of the time the game resumes normally.

Here are some games/etc I've experienced this in so far:

- Warcraft III
- Warcraft III World Editor
- American McGee's Alice
- Alice Madness Returns
- FEAR 3

As a side note, this glitch is particularly irritating while playing Warcraft III in LAN mode with friends, as each player is only allowed to save the game's progress ONE time, meaning a lot of progress is lost if this glitch kicks me out of the game.

Here is a copy of the BSOD I mentioned:
Posted Image

Here is an example of the rectangular region of artifacts:
Posted Image

Here's a link to the original thread in the video card hardware section:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f24/problems-with-sapphire-radeon-hd-6870-a-583543.html

Here are my PC specs:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
Mainboard: MSI 890FXA-GD70
Memory: 4GB DDR3 PC3-12800H (800MHz) G.Skill Ripjaws
Hard Drive: 4x 500GB HDDs
Video: ATI Radeon HD 6870
Sound: Creative Audigy 2 ZS
Power Supply: Kingwin 850w ABT-850MM
Printer: Canon Pixma MP210

I cannot afford to buy any replacement parts to switch out and test everything. It would be ideal if we can somehow pin-point the source of the issue without having to do so.

Oh yeah, and I've run scans with Malwarebytes and avast and have found nothing.

Edited by vertigoelectric, 24 August 2011 - 01:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:27 PM

Have you made sure your video card drivers are updated?

#3 vertigoelectric

vertigoelectric
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:45 PM

Have you made sure your video card drivers are updated?

Yes. Well, at the time I started noticing this problem I did. I haven't checked in a while.

EDIT: Okay, I have now updated to the latest drivers. I'm really skeptical about that being the issue, though. Why would I be the only one having the problem? There's got to be a better explanation out there somewhere.

Edited by vertigoelectric, 24 August 2011 - 11:18 PM.

#4 vertigoelectric

vertigoelectric
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:57 AM

So... anybody? Anything?

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:03 AM

Did the driver update work?

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 27 August 2011 - 07:02 PM

That blue screen is referencing part of the graphics card driver, that's why updating the drivers are a suggestion. Make sure you completely remove the old drivers before updating, otherwise, you will have problems.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users