Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

So I am in the job market.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:20 PM

I know that times are tough right now, but fortunately (and unfortunately) I live in San Antonio - we have one of the better economies in the country right now so there are a few more jobs here than elsewhere. So anyway, I've worked at this little company for the better part of 5 years now, gotten more knowledge than I could have ever hoped for - unfortunately the business is declining, we've gone from 20 employees to 8. My job description ranges from being a lowly tech all the way up to systems admin. I do everything here, but I am paid barely above minimum wage. Starting college back then, this was fine as I still lived at home, and worked with doing what I love. Now that I am 4 months from graduation - have a family and my own house, the money just isn't cutting it anymore.

I have had 5 interviews in the past 2 weeks, while still being employed mind you. 4 were with the same company, but 4 different people (HR, IT manager, Head of Programming, and IT Director/COO) I didn't make the cut because I didn't have my degree - as stated before I am 4 months from, but I have more than enough experience. You would think after the time and effort they put into studying me, I was a shoo-in. Wrong, got a rejection letter 5 days after the last interview with them.

I put in my resume with a county medical office Monday morning, and by Monday afternoon they called and scheduled an interview for Tuesday morning. As it turns out, the IT manager I would be working for is also a professor at a sister college and is friends with a professor who has mentored me my entire college career. So again, you would think I would be a shoo-in. We covered various topics about what I do right now. I think the interview went well, but it was very informal. He even went as far as to curse during the process. I wasn't offended, I actually found it funny. 2 points we covered that caught his attention was my MS exchange experience and my HW Firewall experience. While he got off the professional path, I stayed on it saying the usual (I feel I would be the perfect blah blah blah.) Did I do the wrong thing there? I just needed to vent, I am very frustrated with my current job, while lucky to have it, it just doesn't cut it for me anymore. My boss is literally a mental case, he has been gone since April - and has since passed even more Administrative duties down to me and my co-worker. We think he is about to retire. I just can't do all of these tasks for peanuts anymore. Sorry for it being so long.

Anyone else having trouble finding a job? Or at nailing your interview?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:17 PM

After 20 years as a stay-at-home Dad I'm about to re-enter the job hunt. Not looking forward to it.

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:47 AM

After 20 years as a stay-at-home Dad I'm about to re-enter the job hunt. Not looking forward to it.

Get those big guns working :P

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 Uraiser

Uraiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:06 PM

Don't worry, it's not as bad as you think. Just apply, apply, apply. Remember employers often fluff up requirements in order to weed out people that are timid. However if the position requires a bachelors and you have.. well nothing, can't do anything about that.

Anyway, I called the company that I had an interview with earlier this week to ask if a decision had been made. The guy who would be my boss told me, no, it had not been made yet - but that he remembered my last name, and he remembered that I had a goatee and semi-long hair. He told me that I was in the running - I replied saying "That's a good thing" He agreed saying "That is a very good thing".

I know it's a good sign that he remembered my physical features, but one shining star is that he said I am in the running. I get the feeling I already have it, but that he is toying with me... Or am I wrong?

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:33 PM

Just stick with it, keep at it. Worst comes to worse, you wait the 4 months and get your degree. Once you get your name out there, and people know your work, the right jobs open up for you. Im blessed in what I do and where I am, I get between 2-3 job offers a year without even applying for them, but I know the job market isnt like that everywhere, and even here its only like that depending on the job, Im blessed in I have a CDL and truck drivers are in demand. But keep it up, getting a good job takes patience.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users