Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dowloading Firefox - Any Gotchas?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 18 January 2006 - 07:02 PM

I've heard/read in a zillion places that I should maybe use Firefox instead of IE, and would like to give it a try. However, before I push the button to download it, I wondered if anyone can tell me what, if anything, the download and installation will change on my system. I'm not very computer literate, and am leery of making a change that could cripple the web access or email access or something like that, with me being unable to fix it. Does it change files and the registry and preferences and such? Would it alter the use of Outlook, which is my email system? Will it just co-exist with IE and I could use whichever one I choose?

Thanks for helping out a scared and scarred newbie. I'm using XP Home, with Service Pack 2, if that matters in the response.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 18 January 2006 - 10:31 PM

Here is what I know:
  • Firefox will ask if you want it to be the default web browser
  • You will still have to use IE for some sites (mainly windows updates)
  • Firefox will not delete any IE files
  • You can still use e-mail sites such as yahoo, gmail, hotmail, etc.
  • Firefox will store mainly all files in a different location then IE files (not temp. files)
  • Firefox WILL NOT make any big changes in computer that will cripple your computer
  • You will still be able to use programs like outlook or other e-mail servers

Edited by frankie12, 18 January 2006 - 10:32 PM.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 19 January 2006 - 12:32 AM

There is no conflict between IE and FF, as long as you do not make either the default browser, and you can import your favourites from IE easily to become FF bookmarks. Since FF is a browser only (there is a separate E-mail application called Thunderbird), it will not interfere with Outlook.

FF has many add-ons(extensions) that will allow you to tailor your browser to meet specific needs.
You also need to install the two plug-ins--- JavaRuntimeEnvironment (MS's brand of Java will not work for FF) and Micromedia Flash Player.

See the FF FAQs here for additional information, features, etc.:

http://www.mozilla.com/support/firefox/faq#plugins

I think you will find FF faster than IE, enjoy some of its more modern features, and rest easier knowing it is more secure than IE (and NOT part of your operating system).

Many members here use FF, so if you have questions, you can get answers by posting here.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 21 January 2006 - 01:17 PM

First of all it's Macromedia and not Micromedia

and second of all if you are going to give firefox a try (it's awsome) you should also maybe look into thunderbird to replace outlook or outlook express.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users