Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't uninstall Java. Can't remove Java

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 myRiad_spartans

myRiad_spartans

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:16 PM

I have been getting the regutils.dll error when installing the latest version of Java. I've tried installing the old versions but I also got the regutils.dll error. I then tried Revo Uninstaller but that also didn't work. I've read on some forums that Windows Installer Cleanup utility can be used but I am not sure if it is the best tool. It has been removed from the Microsoft website so I am not sure if it is safe to use.

The Java versions left on my computer are version 13 and version 24.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mb9023

mb9023

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:58 PM

I recommend downloading JavaRa from here http://sourceforge.net/projects/javara/

It's an automatic Java uninstaller. Extract the zip file and run the executable. Check the corresponding boxes and it should get rid of Java for you.

#3 myRiad_spartans

myRiad_spartans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:35 PM

I forgot to mention that I already tried JavaRa and it didn't work.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:48 PM

Hello, what is your error message? Is this Xp or another?

Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update:
  • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) Version 7 and save it to your desktop.
  • Look for "Java Platform, Standard Edition".
  • Click the "Download JRE" button to the right.
  • Read the License Agreement, and then check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
  • From the list, select your OS and Platform (32-bit or 64-bit).
  • If a download for an Offline Installation is available, it is recommended to choose that and save the file to your desktop.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
Go to Posted Image > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features in Vista/Windows 7 and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check (highlight) any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button and follow the onscreen instructions for the Java uninstaller.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-7-windows-i586.exe to install the newest version.
  • If using Windows 7 or Vista and the installer refuses to launch due to insufficient user permissions, then Run As Administrator.
  • When the Java Setup - Welcome window opens, click the Install > button.
  • If offered to install a Toolbar, just uncheck the box before continuing unless you want it.
  • The McAfee Security Scan Plus tool is installed by default unless you uncheck the McAfee installation box when updating Java.
Note: The Java Quick Starter (JQS.exe) adds a service to improve the initial startup time of Java applets and applications but it's not necessary.
To disable the JQS service if you don't want to use it:
  • Go to Start > Control Panel > Java > Advanced > Miscellaneous and uncheck the box for Java Quick Starter.
  • Click Ok and reboot your computer.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 myRiad_spartans

myRiad_spartans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:56 PM

When trying to install the latest version of Java I get the message "Internal Error: 2753 Regutils.dll"
I am using Windows XP Service Pack 3
My computer claims that I have Java version 13 and version 24 on my computer.
The is no option to remove them in Add & Remove Programs
I have used JavaRa and it hasn't worked.
I have used Revo Uninstaller and it hasn't worked.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:29 PM

Hi, try this as you now have registry damage.

Do a system restore to a date ptior to all of this. Then follow the remove steps from the control panel.
No do the Offline install.

See Windows XP System Restore Guide
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 myRiad_spartans

myRiad_spartans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:47 AM

Unfortunately I don't have any previous system restore points to use

#8 geekgothgirl

geekgothgirl

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:21 PM

This works, but you can't download it from the computer with the registry damage because it will say you already downloaded it. Instead, download the Java zip file from another computer then copy it using a thumb drive (to Program Files on the computer with the registry damage). Finally, go to Control Panel to uninstall the program successfully.

• Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) Version 7 and save it to your desktop.
  • Read the License Agreement, and then check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
  • If a download for an Offline Installation is available, it is recommended to choose that and save the file to your desktop.
Go to StartBtn.gif > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features in Vista/Windows 7 and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check (highlight) any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button and follow the onscreen instructions for the Java uninstaller.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-7-windows-i586.exe to install the newest version.
  • If using Windows 7 or Vista and the installer refuses to launch due to insufficient user permissions, then Run As Administrator.
  • If offered to install a Toolbar, just uncheck the box before continuing unless you want it.
  • The McAfee Security Scan Plus tool is installed by default unless you uncheck the McAfee installation box when updating Java.
Note: The Java Quick Starter (JQS.exe) adds a service to improve the initial startup time of Java applets and applications but it's not necessary.
  • Go to Start > Control Panel > Java > Advanced > Miscellaneous and uncheck the box for Java Quick Starter.

#9 geekgothgirl

geekgothgirl

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

If that doesn’t work because you cannot find Java zip files, use Microsoft Fix it to uninstall Java.

This works, but you can't download it from the computer with the registry damage because it will say you already downloaded it. Instead, download the Java zip file from another computer then copy it using a thumb drive (to Program Files on the computer with the registry damage). Finally, go to Control Panel to uninstall the program successfully.

Go to StartBtn.gif > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features in Vista/Windows 7 and remove all older versions of Java.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users