Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC slow. explorer.exe high CPU

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yaro137

yaro137

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:14 AM

Recently I noticed that my PC goes slower and slower. When starting the Task Manager it turns up that explorer.exe uses almost 50% of the CPU. It does that after a restart as well. When I start any web browser on top of that it takes another 50%. I run Malwarebytes on it and it's not finding anything. When I double-click explorer in ProcessExplorer it tells me that it's kernel32.dll!CreateThread+0x22 taking 50% of the CPU. Any ideas?
yaro

Edited by hamluis, 24 August 2011 - 01:33 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:01 PM

Welcome aboard Posted Image

Download Process Explorer: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx
Unzip ProcessExplorer.zip, and double click on procexp.exe to run the program.
Click on View > Select Colunms.
In addition to already pre-selected options, make sure, the Command Line is selected, and press OK.
Go File>Save As, and save the report as Procexp.txt.
Attach the file to your next reply.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 yaro137

yaro137
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:02 AM

I run another system restore and this time it looks like it did the trick. When the PC started it reported that it cannot start find some .dlls of bizare names so I disabled them in msconfig. Then I run rkill and Malwarebytes in safe mode just in case. Nothing found again. So far so good.
yaro

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:58 PM

MSConfig (System Configuration Utility) is a troubleshooting utility used to diagnose and fix system configuration issues. In the Summary section Microsoft says "The System Configuration utility helps you find problems with your Windows configuration. It does not manage the programs that run when Windows starts."

Although it works as a basic startup manager, msconfig should not be used routinely to disable auto-start programs. It is a temporary solution and not a good practice for the following reasons:
  • When uninstalling programs while disabled with msconfig, they may not be uninstalled properly and manually editing the registry will be required to remove everything.
  • Msconfig will often leave orphaned entries when software is uninstalled. When used to switch back to normal startup mode, these orphan entries can result in boot up errors.
  • Msconfig only allows you to disable entries. To completely remove an entry from its' list you have to edit the registry, or use a third-party tool like Msconfig Cleanup Utility or a startup manager.
  • Msconfig allows malware related items to hide in your registry which you may not see or affect your computer until switched back to normal startup mode. This could then result in reinfection of the computer.
  • Msconfig does not list all applications loaded in all possible startup locations (some entry points are hidden and unknown to the user).
You should not use msconfig to disable startup applications related to services. Doing so alters the registry and there are services that are essential for hardware and booting your system. When you uncheck a service in msconfig, you completely disable it. If you uncheck the wrong one, you may not be able to restart your computer. Changing the default settings for services can be risky and might prevent key services from running correctly. Only change the status of a service if it is necessary. You should only disable services using the Services Management Console (services.msc) where you cannot disable services that may be vital to boot your system.

A better alternative is to use a startup manager and remove the registry reference to those oddly named files completely.

To do that you can download Autoruns, search for the related entry and then delete it.
  • Create a new folder on your hard drive called AutoRuns (C:\AutoRuns) and extract (unzip) the file there.
    Vista/Windows 7 users refer to these instructions.
  • Open the folder and double-click on autoruns.exe to launch it.
    Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • Please be patient as it scans and populates the entries.
  • When done scanning, it will say Ready at the bottom.
  • Scroll through the list and look for a startup entry related to the file(s) in the error message.
  • If found, right-click on the entry and choose delete.
  • Reboot your computer and see if the startup error returns.
If you're going to keep and use Autoruns, be sure to read:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users