Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp security 2012

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
74 replies to this topic

#1 savena

savena

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:15 AM

My computer has been infected. When I turn on the computer it automatically runs a scan and determines that I have an infection - It shows as the "Security Center Shield" - Tells me I have numerous infections and prompts me to purchase XP Security 2012. I have "Microsoft Essentials" as my Virus protector. The problem became more apparent after downloading music from ITUNES and then after I had Microsoft Essentials run a scan. Now the computer will not access the internet. When I try it goes into the above cycle. It also tells me Firewall is turned off and I cannot turn it on - if I go into the control panel and try to choose the option of Firewall it does not open. When I open the Security Center it cycles into the purchase XP Security 2012.
When I try to open Explorer the following message: XP Security Firewall Alert Blocks program - IE is infected with trojen - BNL.win32.keylogger.gen It also tells me I have an unregistered XP Security Version and then prompts me to buy a version.
The computer that I am using now is not the one that has the problem

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:00 PM

Hello,

We have a removal guide for this infection here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-win-7-antispyware-2012

Please let us know if this resolves your issues.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 savena

savena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:46 AM

Hi Blossom,
I was following the instructions and running the Malwarebytes scan It was taking a long time so I left the computer for the night. When I returned the computer had went into sleep mode. Now, When I try to start the computer back up it freezes. The screen is black - has the dashes in the bottom and says Resuming Window above the dashes and below the dashes it says For Trouble Shooting and Advanced start up options for windows press F8.
If I press F8 nothing happens. If I shut down and push F? I can get the boot up screen. Not sure what to do from here?
Thanks,
Steve

#4 savena

savena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:58 AM

I am guessing I will need a boot-up disc? Just wanted you to know that I have a floppy A drive available on the problem computer and on a different computer.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,842 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:49 AM

Have you tried shutting the computer off and restarting using the button on the disc tower or equivalent thereof?

If not, please do so.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 savena

savena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:07 AM

Yes, I tried that a couple of times

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,842 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:01 AM

Okay, I've informed those that specialize in such booting problems. One of them will take over from here.

Orange Blossom

#8 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,917 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 28 August 2011 - 07:55 AM

What version of Windows is this and do you have your installation CD/DVD?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#9 savena

savena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2011 - 09:58 AM

It is xp and I am not sure about the installation CD - I do haave some driver CD's and Applicatin CD's. Computer is from Gateway - I believe I pruchased it in 2004

#10 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,917 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:44 PM

When you start the computer and tap F8 (before you see the screen you described), does the Advanced Boot Options menu come up?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#11 savena

savena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:51 PM

Yes

#12 savena

savena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:33 PM

sorry for the delay in responding - I am out of town and was away from computer access.

#13 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,917 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2011 - 03:49 AM

On the F8 (advanced boot options) menu, if you choose safe mode, what happens?

regards, Elise

#14 savena

savena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2011 - 07:27 AM

I will not have access to the computer until Monday, but I think I may have been mistaken about the F8 option. Now I do not think the F8 option does anything, because I don't get the safemode option. The F key that works is the F2? I think, it was the option that asked where to boot from. The F8 did not work.

#15 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,917 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:07 AM

Hi again, in that case, try this.

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop.

• Insert the CD you just created into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

• If your PC is not booting from the CD, you need to change the boot order:
    • Restart your PC
    • As soon as you get an image, press the Setup key. This is usually F2, or Del. On some machines the key can also be a different one. It should, however, be stated on the screen which key is the setup key.
    • Once you enter the computer's BIOS, use the arrow keys and tab key to move between elements. Press enter to select an item to change.
    • Navigate to the tab, where you can set the boot order. It should be called Boot or Boot order
    • The tab should now show your current boot order.
      If the CD-drive is not at the top, please navigate to the CD-Rom drive with the keys arrows. Then move it to the top of the list. The keys for switching boot position are usually + to move up and - to move down. However they can be different, but they should be stated in the help, so that you can find them easily.
    • Once the CD-drive is on top of the boot order, navigate to Exit and select Exit saving changes.
  • Your PC should now boot from your XP-CD.
    Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

• When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
  • When prompted to choose a windows installation, type 1 and press enter.
  • When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

• A command prompt will open

Type chkdsk /r and press enter. Let the disk check run unhindered. Note, this may take a long time.

When finished, type exit and press enter. Let me know if you notice any change.

regards, Elise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users