Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to find out if mobo is still good

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 pcdumbblonde

pcdumbblonde

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:01 AM

I think that the problem is with my mobo and not Windows 7. I cannot boot it up so how do I go about finding out what mobo I have and how to replace or fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:31 PM

the only way I know of to test a mobo is to replace it.

#3 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:26 PM

Do you know how to remove your memory? If yes you could try remove your memory and turn on your laptop and look for any Beep Sound appear from your laptop.
If there was a Beep Sound from your laptop. I think your Mainboard still Ok. Maybe your Mainboard is broken but as long you could use it lets use it. Please dont ask why I told you to do this :smash:

But I think you need to bring your Laptop to Repair Shop and Update your BIOS. you could update it by yourself but PROCEED IT WITH YOUR OWN RISK and I doesn't know how to tell you about how to do it :dance:

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:10 AM

I think that the problem is with my mobo and not Windows 7.

What makes you think that the motherboard may be the problem? Even an experienced person would have a hard time coming to that conclusion without a lot of diagnostic work, and it is perhaps one of the least common problems that generally occur with a computer.

All we know so far, is that your laptop won't boot: Please describe exactly what happens/what you see when you attempt to start your computer normally. Do you see any error messages? Have you tried to boot in Safe Mode? Did anything significant happen, and what was the computer running like, before the non-booting problem occurred?

What is the brand and exact model of the laptop, and how old is it?
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#5 pcdumbblonde

pcdumbblonde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 03:35 PM

I turn on the laptop and it goes to the emachine logo and hangs there. I thought at first it was Windows 7, then maybe the hard drive. I took the hard drive out and checked it. It had several malware issues. I cleaned with Avast, Super Antispyware and Malwarebytes Anti-malware. After it was cleaned {I ran it 4 times thru these just to make sure} I ran a chkdsk /f and it had no errors or bad sectors.

It will go no further, I cannot get into the Bios. It does absolutely nothing --- which made me think it was the mobo.

I have an emachine E725 and it is 2 years old.

It was given to me [in this condition] so I could have it at college.

I cannot boot into Safe Mode or anything PERIOD!

ABAUW: I took the memory out nothing, however when I put the 2 gb stick back in and pushed the F2 key for setup it said Please Wait . . . . . Then Nothing! Also there were no beeps with the memory out just a black screen.

Edited by pcdumbblonde, 25 August 2011 - 03:47 PM.

#6 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:41 PM

@pcdumbblonde
Maybe you could try update your BIOS first before you decide to buy a new mainboard.

And if you decide to replace it. replace it with exactly same Brand, Model and Type. As Laptop designed just only fit to Exactly same Mainboard. Sometimes you could use different Mainboard if that Mainboard have same archicture with your Laptop but it's better to get exactly same Mainboard.

@AustrAlien
The problem is the laptop is freeze at BIOS Start Up not at / before Windows Start Up.

#7 pcdumbblonde

pcdumbblonde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:40 PM

How can you update the BIOS if the pc won't boot up at all?

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:22 PM

... I cannot get into the Bios. It does absolutely nothing --- which made me think it was the mobo.

... pushed the F2 key for setup it said Please Wait . . . . . Then Nothing! Also there were no beeps with the memory out just a black screen.

It seems reasonable in that case to suspect that there is a problem with the motherboard.

I have little of substance to offer, but you may wish to consider the following:
  • Replace the CMOS battery on the motherboard.
  • Disconnect anything that may be connected to the laptop.
  • Disconnect/remove the hard drive and try F2 > Setup again.
As Allan has written previously, the only way (for most of us) to know whether the motherboard is the problem, is to replace it with another good one.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:59 AM

I (also) would replace the CMOS battery with a new one...before writing off any hardware when configuration problems/BIOS problems appear.

Louis

#10 pcdumbblonde

pcdumbblonde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2011 - 04:32 PM

OK so how do I replace the CMOS battery since I can't find it. I know what they look like as I have replaced them on my desktop before but I can't find it on this laptop.

Also how would I go about replacing the MOBO?

Edited by pcdumbblonde, 01 September 2011 - 04:32 PM.

#11 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2011 - 05:53 PM

To replace your Mainboard you need to contact your Laptop Brand as you need same Mainboard and usually Laptop Mainboard doesn't sell in Market except someone have it and willing to sell it. Please make sure that you buy Mainboard that fit to your Laptop and not making mistake with buying Mainboard that doesn't fit to Laptop.

To replace your CMOS battery you need to disassemble your Laptop and check what type of CMOS battery that you Mainboard use. Laptop Mainboard have a couple different type of CMOS battery and some type need to soldering if you want to replace it. If you need tutorial you could watch it youtube. In this case it's better to see video than reading a manual as you need to know how to disassemble your Laptop.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:10 PM

You can possibly...go to the website of the system manufactureer...find your model...look for downloads, find the manual for your system...and it should indicate the location/type of CMOS battery installed.

Or...you could simply do a Google search, using a string similar to "eMachine E725 CMOS battery" and chedk through the results.

There doesn't seem to be any repair manual documentation available for this system. The eMachines user manual suggests taking the system to an authorized rep when it appears the CMOS battery is bad.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users